Wanted Koba shift kit!

Started by Scott Wallenberg, August 24, 2007, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Wallenberg

Anyone out there know where I can find one?
Thanks, Scott Wallenberg  [email protected]

sixdazed

Scott,I am supposed to have one (at least) in a huge tub of parts i got from an old Mettco buddy of mine.Problem is i don't know the contents of the Koba kit-so if you know,or better yet have a list of the kit contents so i know what i'm looking for,i can search "the Tub" and see if i have one.I'm long overdue in going thru that stuff anyway.Or if anyone else knows,please let us know.Thanks,
                                                         Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Ric,
  I will see if I can find pictures of the entire kit.  I am selling all of my old library and know it is in there.  I will try to get back with you by Monday.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Thanks Ron...........

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

firstturn

I haven't found the picture yet, but i have it??  Somewhere.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

deek

Ron, Ric

I sent one to Scott, but was missing a round shim, looks like a wedding band. He needs the install instructions though.

Ric, consists of spring loaded shift (selector) shaft with machined key and special selector boss and the ring like shim.

Dale Walter

sixdazed

Thanks Dale,I'm glad to hear of you're continuing recovery from your get off and hope you get back to 110 per cent someday.
 Ron,if you do find one and can shoot a pic that would be cool.I'll call you in a bit.Thanks,
                         Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

JP Morgen

Scott, I have carefully, over the period of a couple of years of racing my Penton 125, figured out why the Sachs transmission is so hard to shift. The answer is that there is no 'drop in time' which can be compaired to the back and forth movement between the dogs on a 'normal' transmission. This movement means there is time and space to go from one gear to the next. On the Sachs transmission, the drop in time is the clearance between the shift/selector key and the openings in each gear, which is .010" or .025mm!!, not much at all, it is a wonder you can ever shift. What I do is send the gears, usually 2nd through 6th, to be EDM cut so there is about 2.5mm of clearance, 100 times the standard. This makes a huge difference. I did a set for Tom Benolkin and he said it made a "500%" difference. It isn't cheap, $60 a gear, which is my cost. This is the only true 'fix' for the Sachs transmissions. I have looked at the Koba kits, and while they are a band-aid, they don't heal the problem. I can be contacted at 415 822-1315, or [email protected] Thanks for listening, JP Morgen

Ernie Phillips

JP - "Drop in time"  -- very interesting.  The only "real" problem I have shifting my Sachs engines is that critical down shift from 3rd to 2nd going up a hill when I've messed up and let the engine "drop off the pipe." As you know, a missed gear up hill turns ugly really quick.  Gravity is always ready to suck you to the bottom.  I jab down on the shift lever hoping (desperately needing) to snag 2nd gear and get back on the gas.  When I jab down, all I get is high revs.  What I found out this weekend is that instead of "jabbing" -- just a light touch to knock 'er out of 3rd is all that is needed along with a very slight pause to allow 2nd gear to get engaged, then back on the gas.  I think a gear box with added "drop in time" would help with the above.  I'd like to experience (ie ride) your bike some time.  Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

chicagojerry

jp morgen! i have heard great things about your expertise on sachs motors and if i recall ktm motors as well. i had kevin peltz as a guest over the portland weekend and he was singing your praises too.  welcome to the pog site. i'm sure that you will be a huge asset here. my friend, kevin outland recently bought a 74 125 penton and will be rebuilding it into a race ready machine. we'll be in contact about your trans mods. hope to see you on this site often.
oh yeah, scott wallenberg, its great to have you here too, you are lengendary about those old monarks.
chicago jerry

firstturn

Ric,
  I am sending you a copy of what I have on the Koba kit.  Should be in the mail today or tomorrow.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Thanks Brother!
                Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

Okie

Does anyone know where I can find one of these.  I'd like one also.  I'd also like to see the pictures.
Thanks
Okie[^]

Have fun and the day will take care of it's self.
Have fun and the day will take care of it\\\'s self.

VICTOR MONZ

Cicago Jerry:

I must say I am pleased to hear Kevin Outland has bought a Vintage Penton.  Kevin and I raced many races at Meadowlarks along with his brother back in the 70's.  Kevin should remember me, as Jack Horinek and I used to chase him around many times on the local tracks.

Hello Kevin !

Sincerely,

Victor Monz, Hemet, California

VICTOR MONZ

Ric Emmal:

I would be glad to come pick up you tub of METTCO stuff and sort out the KOBA Shift kit, of course there probably won't be left much in the tub when I'm done.  Just trying to help.

Be Well.

Victor Monz