Is it just me!

Started by Paul Danik, October 16, 2007, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

OK, I know better, or so I am told.  Does anyone else still wash out their foam filters with fuel?  In doing so my twinair filter has partially come apart.  In the old days, when there was lead in the fuel this never happened, and back then I actually did regular weekly maintaince.
  Is todays glue not as good?  Or are all filters designed for the new filter fluid systems?  Any advise on glues, possibly contact cement?

Thanks guys for your advise.

Paul

PS. I went to the Twin Air website and they say their filters will hold up to cleaning with harsh solvents or gasoline.  Does anyone have the correct Twin Air filter number for the CMF Pentons with the fiberglass airbox, 72-73-74.
Thanks again.

454MRW

I bought a TwinAir filter for my 1980 MC 250 and while trial installing it without oiling it, it came apart. Maybe it's just me, but I now run Uni air filters on most of my bikes. I like the cage that comes with most of them better anyway. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Paul Danik

Mike,

OK, I feel better now, I am not the only one to have a Twin Air come apart.  My buddy Augie used to tell a story about a kid named Bill that hung around his shop and was really good at breaking stuff, Augie used to say he wouldn't even let Bill roll a tire across the shop as he would probably break it, I thought I might have a case of the Bills..

A number for the correct Uni filter for the CMF Penton would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Merlin

............in my stable I have always used pump gas or #1 kerosene to wash my filters, other methods (parts cleaner solvent in a washer tank) seemed to break down the foam. I have had some real durable Twin Air filters and some that came from the bag and failed, I don't really care for the Uni cages but the foams are good, so are the Vintage Iron filter foams.......................Penton oval filter from UNI=NU 1401 ST
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Dwight Rudder

Same as the Yamaha Blaster ATV.
Dwight

PentonRestoration

I have a bucket which I use to catch and store fuel from my diesel tractor.  I keep this 1/2 gallon or so of fuel to clean filters and wipe down tools.  

Using diesel fuel, I have never had a problem with the Twinair filters I use on my bikes. Of course, I follow the standard foam filter cleaning proceedure of not twisting them and only squeezing the fuel out. Twisting a foam filter will typically destroy it.

I also use very little filter oil, especially when I use NoToil, PJ1 or similar sticky treatments.  One time I bought a new/used dirt bike less than a year old.  It ran but very poorly. Believing that I can fix anything, I bought it and disassembled the carb, checked and adjusted valves, replaced fuel etc. etc.  I finally discovered that the previous owner had OVER oiled the filter with one of the sticky oils.  I cleaned it in diesel and it runs perfectly!  Now, when I'm working on a poorly running bike, it's the first thing I check. :)

Just my two cents.

Jerry
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

t20sl

Jerry:  Your comment about using very little sticky treatments brings up memories.  Had a Honda CR125 customer that went thru 3 bore sizes, one at a time, within 1 season of racing.  Each time he brought a cylinder in fro boring we quized him about oiling his filter.  He assured us he did.  Back then he was using 60w engine oil.  Same thing I used to use in the late 60's early 70's.  Anyhow, fast forward to final bore size 4th over.  I asked him to bring his air cleaner in and service it in front of me.  He agreed and went to our solvent tank, washed filter nicely, squeezed solvent out, wrapped it in a rag and squeezed it again and twisted it slightly.  Then without saying anything he went over to one of the work benches, picked up a squirt oil can and shot 3 or 4 squirts of oil on filter in a zig zag pattern, squeezed it gently a few times and said he was done.  I then instructed him that he only oiled about 1/10th of the total filter media.  I showed him that to oil a filter properly it should be completely submersed into the oil (anytype of filter oil) squeezed to get air out and then removed from oil and squeezed, wrapped in a dry cloth, squeezed again and again to remove as much as possible.  Morale of the story he continued to race that CR125 for almost 3 more seasons with only a piston and 2 ring changes.  Still was on 4th over when he traded for a CR250 in 1978 or 1979.  I don't mean to lecture but in my opinion and Honda's only a filter that was completely saturated with oil before squeezing out all that you can will filter correctly.  Of course you should jet to the oil you use and stay with that oil.  If your pistons come out looking dull grey, your eating dirt.  Food for thought. Ted

socalmx

Uni Filter makes a nice combination pack of spray cleaner (water rinse) and filter oil. I use this system on the Uni filter in the Penton and on the Twin Air in my Yamaha WR250F with no problems.

Gary Roach

Paul,

I have been using the Twin Air Liquid Dirt Remover for over 10 years, and it's never damaged any of my filters. Although it's not cheap, it does a great job. Kevin Brown sold me on the stuff when I saw how clean it got his filters. I took a gallon of it home, and my Dad took one look at the can and said, "Your wasting your money. Gasoline works just fine". It took one of our filters that had already cleaned in gasoline and rewashed it in the Twin Air cleaner and rinsed it off. The filter actually came out white like it was when it was new. Needless to say, my Dad was totally convinced how good it worked and we never went back to using gasoline again.    

http://www.twinairusa.com/products/cleaner.html

I also use the plastic tub that they sell. It has a wire tray that allows the dirt to settle to the bottom.

http://www.twinairusa.com/products/tubs.html

Ted,

I've got a good air filter story too.

A local rider bought a new '89 KTM 125 from our local dealer. For some unknown reason, he allowed his buddy to convince him that when put oil on the air filter, it cuts down the air flow, and that hurts the power. Even though he had been racing 2 strokes for over 10 years, no one could convince him otherwise, and he raced and trail rode the bike without any filter oil. So, instead of wasting his time on oiling an air filter, he spent his time putting a new set a rings in the bike at least once a month. And guess what...his buddy did nothing but run his mouth off to everybody about how much those KTM's were nothing but a piece of junk because you had to constantly put new rings in them. Go figure!  

Paul Danik

Lots of great advise.  Can any one give me the Twin Air part number for the filter that fits the fiberglass CMF airboxes?  

Thanks
Paul

motogon

Hmmm... I remember since 80s. when I started using foam filters in all maintanance books was said "DON NOT USE GAS FOR air filter cleaning. That will destroy your filter!"

Andrew
^^^^^^^^^^^
1976 MC5 175
1978 GS6 400
1986 KLR 250
2006 Husky TE/SM 510
2004 Zuki V-Strom 1000
Andrew
^^^^^^^^^^^
1976 MC5 175
1978 GS6 400
1986 KLR 250
2006 Husky TE/SM 510
2004 Zuki V-Strom 1000

VICTOR MONZ

What's the general opinion of the No-Toil Product and process....you know out here on the "left coast" you even have to filter your #$%^&& after eating your beans and rice tortilla.

Victor

Paul Danik

Gary,

Thanks for the part number, and I will be ordering the cleaning system products that you use.

Victor,

I don't even want to know how those filters are cleaned:D  I hope your recovery is coming along well.

Thanks again to all for the advice.
Paul

tlanders

This has been a great discussion. I have been using the No-Toil filters, oil, grease, and cleaner powder with water for the last few years and haven't had to rebuild anything yet. The filters look like new after you clean them and the oil really catches the dirt. I feel the inside of the CMF airbox for grit after removing the filter and it is clean. Rosemary appreciates the fact I don't smell like gasoilne or kerosine after I clean them and I do it after every race weekend. Chicago Jerry doesn't like No Toil oil because if you let the filter sit for a long time (6 months or longer), the element can get stuck to the cage. Solution, clean your filter after every race weekend and don't oil it until you are ready to use the bike again.

Teddy