Just wondered.......?

Started by Steve Minor, November 03, 2001, 06:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I know the MC stands for MotoCross,as in MC5.
What does the 5 indicate?

AND what does the GS stand for in GS6?...and what does the 6 indicate?

Just wondered......?

Steve Minor

Richard

My 76 250MC5 was sold as a five speed transmission. The GS6 bikes were delivered with a 6 speed transmission. It was some time later that I discovered that my MC5 had all six gears but the shifting drum was assembled without the pin which would allow the shifting shaft quadrant to select first gear.  

The MC5 was a serious motocross bike and the KTM factory felt that the low first gear was unnecessary. I don't know if later versions of the MC5 has all six gears enabled, but you can tell if an early engine has been converted to all six speeds by the neutrul detent between first and second and the extra detent between second and third (the previous  
first and second gears of the "5 speed" transmission).

Steve Minor

Well.......that might explain the "5" and the "6".....thanks.....now, what does the "GS" stand for?????

Steve Minor

Dave Hefterich

The GS designation is still alive and well. If you look at the KTM factory web-site and click on England (so it's in English) you will find a 200EXC GS. It is the street legal version of the EXC they sell here.

imported_n/a

I seem to remember that GS stands for GeulundeSport (spelling?) I'm not sure what that means.  In car talk it stands for Grand Sport

Steve Minor

I figured it meant GrandSport....just wasn't sure....Thanks!

Steve Minor

Dennis Jones

On my BMW Paris-Dakar GS, the GS stands for Gelande Strasse. A rough German translation is ground and street

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

On my BMW Paris-Dakar GS, the GS stands for Gelande Strasse. A rough German translation is ground and street

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Steve Minor

Well.....that too makes sense.....seeing how the Penton GS series are street legal machines from the factory.....

the mystery continues....

Steve Minor