new 100 cc Class

Started by Lew Mayer, December 05, 2007, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryson Williams

This new class is great.  I can remember 100cc classes with 30 to 40 bikes on the line.  It's an art keeping these little bikes moving.  As for the rules I'm sure Dick, Robert and the others will see the light soon and make proper class adjustments.

By the way was there any negative feedback regarding the Sachs D model motors staying in the classic class?.

Dirk

gooddirt

I would rather have a AHRMA race to go to no matter how bad they might be than to have no race to go to at all. Racing any race is better than staying home whining and crying { yeah stay in your garage and just look at the bike on its stand}[:0][B)]:D;)[:o)] race them all support the sport !!!

pakala

Larry,
 As the rules are written now for the new 100cc mx class you have no choice but to stay home and stare at your Penton 100 6 speed Berkshire.
 I am sure the decision makers over at AHRMA will realize there Hodaka partisanship mistake and allow manufacture's 100cc six speed sachs engined bikes.
 I would not go rushing to swap your 100cc6/B motor for a 100cc 5/A
the change will have to come.
 As my friends in downtown Los Angeles say "No justice,No peace":-)
                Paul (socal)

[email protected]

Good morning guys,
The 100 cc class was a surprise to everyone. This seemed to be a last minute thought that happened at the Ahrma meeting while at Barber. To my knowledge no one had a heads up on this at all. Please trust me when I tell you that there are some Hodaka folks that have been in contact with some of the more knowledgeable Penton folks to try and figure why the six speed bikes would not be allowed. No one I have spoken to has any idea why this would be.

There seems to be some confusion with some of the other rules but the six speed issue is by far the largest. There also is a bunch of Hodaka folks  that are working behind the scenes very hard to lobby the Ahrma rules committee to please change that six speed rule right away.

It has been a long windy road to get this 100cc class to come alive and now I hope that most guys will come out and ride it once we get the six speed rule reversed. Not one of the Hodaka guys I have spoken to want to see this as what has been called on the internet " A Hodaka Super Rat class". So please be patient and let's see if this rule will be changed before the first race in Arizona. I hope to race against the Penton's and any other brand in the 100cc class
as long as it is a fair playng field for all of us.

I will have to take off the 34mm forks and extended aluminum swingarms off my 100cc racers as I read the rules but that's racing. I hope that it will be fair to everyone and a success. It has taken a long time to get this far and I really hope it get's by this bump in the road. Thank you for the space.
Paul

firstturn

Paul,
  Thanks for your post.  Your Character and Integrety is unquestioned as far as I am concerned.  For those who wish to think of the class as a "Hodaka 100 Class" just aren't in tune with the big picture.  I am happy for the 100 class and if someone has to build a 5 speed 100 Penton so be it.  There is give and take on both sides.  Weight verses CMF frame verses horsepower and on and on.  I hope it is a class where people have fun and bring out some of the old 100 bikes.  It is still a racers game and probably the best riders will be at the top of the score as ususal, but there is always room for new good riders.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

pakala

Ron my friend, as the rules are now I can't put a sachs 5/A engine into my 1974 Penton 100 Berkshire.
 f) Engine/frame combinations must be as manufactured; no mixing-and-matching of engine and chassis into "specials."
  My Penton was manufactured as a 1006/B. As of now my bike will remain as pitbike. I am realy not the right size to race a 100cc bike I just love giving the Hodaka boys a hard time:-)
  Paul knows I keep an eye on the Hodaka hords, someone has to keep them in line.
  This is FUN..........
                  Paul(socal)

brian kirby

Paul, I believe I am the one who first said "call it the Hodaka Super Rat class". I did not mean to say that the Hodaka guys did this by back room lobbying I just pointed out the fact that as it currently stands it is in effect a Super Rat class. I believe you guys dont care about 5 speed or 6 speed, but the rule is there.

Pablo brings up another part of this rule that is not clear. It actually says bikes must be

"88-100cc two-stroke and 88-120cc four-stroke production motorcycles manufactured as up to 1974-model-year machines, and like-design. All motorcycles in this class must have been manufactured 100cc or smaller-displacement bikes.

and

Engine/frame combinations must be as manufactured; no mixing-and-matching of engine and chassis into "specials."

I understand this to mean no putting Yamaha engines in Penton chassis or a Sachs in a Rickman Hodaka frame. I dont read that to mean that you can not put a 5A engine in a '74 originally 6B frame since the Sachs CMF bikes are a classic example of the "like design" rule. I also dont see where Paul would have to take the bigger forks and extended swingarm off his Hodaka unless they came off a 125. It doesnt say the chassis has to be stock as manufactured, it says you can not use parts off a 125, it says nothing about using parts (forks) off a bike bigger than 125 so as its written Hodaka 250 forks are legal. If I build a Yamaha (which I might) as its stands I can use a 90 or 100 frame and use a CT1 175 forks and swingarm since its not a 125.

Poorly written rule in many ways. If I was going to write a rule for this class it would read:

"100cc class bikes will follow Classic 125 rules except reed valves are allowed and carburetors are limited to 28mm"

How easy is that?

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

pakala

Hmmmm, The only aftermarket frame eligible is the Van Tech. Correct me if I am wrong. But wasn't the Van Tech frames used mostly for Hodakas:-) ??????
                 Pablo (socal)

firstturn

Pablo & Brian,
  Sorry to step on your toes....I was just recognizing Paul and his discussion.  I won't let it happen in the future.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

Ron, you didnt step on my toes at all, I value our opinion and I want to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me.

I am not upset with you, or the Hodaka guys, I am just bewildered at the reasoning and loopholes in the 100cc class rule.

Brian

Brian

G Ellis

Instead of riding Penton 100 6 speeds in the pits. Take some time and write a letter or call AHRMA. Remember the sachs "D" motor rule? If you write or call I think they will change the rules. So write or call today and with enough people doing this, I do think the rule will change. Just my thoughts  Later Gary

Tennessee Vol

No the Van Techs were made for any 100 motor Honda,Bridgestone etc.Van Tech made all the motor mounts where they could make engine brackets and mount almost any motor in it.

It just happened that the Hodaka motor was way more reliable than the Sachs [:0] and others,that is why you see them in most Van Tech frames.Seems like your Hodaka bias is showing again.[}:)]

Bojo Stults

Bobby Stults

Dwight Rudder

I think that 6 speed piston Port engines should be allowed.  As for the modified swingarms and oversized forks these are major frame components. and should be close to as manufactured.  
IMO,
Dwight

gooddirt

Paul,(socal) race one of those 100 zundapp's I sold you.  LG- some say -"BURN BABY BURN"

brian kirby

Dwight, I agree that major frame components should be as manufactured, but that it not what the rule says, it only says "Any machine or major component manufactured as/for a 125cc motorcycle" is ineligible. That is a loophole big enough to drive a truck through. As written, if you were so inclined , you could put Maico forks on a Hodaka as long as they didnt come off a 125 Maico.

I can tell that the intent of the rule was to keep the bikes as close to stock as possible to original, but that is not what it says.

Brian

Brian