175 rebuild

Started by danwillert, December 11, 2007, 03:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwillert

Just starting to rebuild my 175 JP. Have a lot of questions re; helpful hints, but one for now: any suggestions on re conditioning the chrome rims, spokes, nipples?

Dan Willert
Wilson,Wyoming
Dan Willert
Victor, ID

Ron

Take a look on-line at //www.Buchanans.com, their in California.
RonW

KJDonovan

Dan,

I bought new stainless spokes and nipples from Buchanan's and had a local guy re-chrome the Radallie that came on mine and they look better than new.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Lew Mayer

And that is a question you need to answer, Dan. Do you want it better than new, an accurate restoration or a nice-looking rider? Everyone has their own way of doing it. That's part of the fun. I just have decent looking riders since I compete on mine.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rain Man

Dan, welcome to the Penton Owners group first off.:)   If you dont want to spend a whole lot of money on rims and spokes, just wanna clean   up the ones you have a  little, try this.  The local parts store usually sells Chrome polish of some sorts.  the stuff works fairly well on mild rust, but wont take the deep into the metal rust out. Your rims will shine, where the chromes still not peeled off
 :(
 Chrome repo rims are available @ Waldridge in Ontario Canada. about a c note: I can give you exact figures next week, I just ordered some.
 The spokes and nipples, can be obtained from  Buchanons, usually somewhere around 75 bucks.
  hope this helps some, it usually costs close to 250 bucks for a rebuilt wheel: IE new rims, spokes, tire, tube and OMG  the BEARINGS and Seals [:0]
 dont wanna forget those [:I]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

linglewn

I have had very good luck with rims and spokes from Walridge. $328 US per set of 21 in. front and 18 in rear. That includes galvanized spokes. You can get stainless spokes for more dollars. Mike at Walridge will make sure you get the exact right length spokes for the hub that you have. Their number is 519-227-4923. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Mike Lenz

Here is a low cost trick if the rust is just in the channel of the rim.  Sand it down fairly good and take some "chrome" paint , spray some into a spray paint cap and carefully pour some into the channel.  Keep pouring and spinning the wheel slow until it goes all the way around, keep spinning until it quits running.  Looks pretty good when done, for a rider anyway.

danwillert

Thanks for the input.  Would appear that Walridge has the rims AND the spoke sets; 107.25 and 85.45 respectively. Any big dif from Buchanans?
I've laced and trued bicycle wheels before and assume it is similar in time consuming frustration, although much heavier.

Dan Willert
Wilson,Wyoming
Dan Willert
Victor, ID