Non AMA Supercross

Started by firstturn, December 28, 2007, 12:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Dane, I was actually a pro-four stroke guy when the YZ400 came out, and I grew up riding XR75s and XR200s. It was a few years later when the 250Fs came out that I started to see the negatives. The dealership I work at sponsors a rider who started out on KX65s and is now on 250Fs. Before he got the 250Fs he rode KX125s for two years. He had three bikes, one Mod one Stock and one practice bike. Now he needs four because one 250F cant be kept running as a full time practice bike. Not only are the 250Fs $1000 more and cost more to maintain, they arent as durable.

Its about 5 years too late, but I'm glad the AMA is starting to do something about it.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

TGTech

My son quit racing in 2003 when the 250F's were beginning to take over the "125" class. I'm pretty sure that point was part of the reason that he decided to quit racing.

Last spring, he started to ride again, and now he's riding a 450F. We just sold his '07 450 with about 24 hours on it, because we don't want to have to deal with the costs of rebuilding the top end. In the next couple of weeks, we're going to have a new '08 machine.

The only way that we're going through this route, is because I have connections through Team Green. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't be riding.

The 250F's in motocross, is the scaryest machine I can thing of. I've seen a bunch of them that have blown up and you're talking about $2500 bucks to rebuild them. Last summer, I was a 250F explode and the only major part of the engine that was still useable, was the transmission.  The crank, cases, cylinder, and head were all toast.

In off road racing, things don't get so severe, because you don't use the RPM, but they still take more maintenance than the two strokes.

Dane

The two strokes are way more economical to be a race machine.

Rocket

Can you imagine how many of the 250F's will be setting in barns or whatever in the next 5-10 years with blown motors.  Restoration work for the next generation will be plentiful, better buy your spare motor parts now while they are considered cheap by tomorrow's standard. [:0]
Rocket

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I hope they do reduce the four stroke size, four strokes are killing amateur racing. Plus, they are getting tracks closed all over the country because they are so loud and the sound carries much farther than a two strokes sound. They ought to take a cue from MotoGP only in the other direction and just say "MX/SX is a two stroke sport" and ban four strokes.

Brian

I would love to see another class added.  A full bore open class.  Say 400cc to 600cc 4 strokes.
I have wanted the AMA to impliment a 40% rule to the classes for years but was ignored. I have thought that + 40% 4 strokes would be fair but double or nearly double displacement wasn't.  The 40% rule would mean that you could race a 175cc 4 stroke in the 125 class and a 350cc 4 stroke in the 250 class.   Who cares about the open class.  Letum run what they brung.
The reason for the reduction from 450cc to 350cc is that most can't ride the big 4 strokes.  Power ? Weight ?  Who knows but they keep trying to ride them like a small bore.
As far as exhaust noise,  Leo Vince and Acrapovic both make 92-94 db exhaust that produce more power than the stock pipes.
I run the Leo Vince on my KTM XCF-W with the quiet baffle and love it.
Dwight

brian kirby

Dwight, as you know loud four strokes are more an MX and playrider problem, offroad guys almost all know the damage a loud bike can do and keep their bikes quiet. Its the "clay pit" guys that do the most damage.

Its funny your 40% rule is about where they will end up after all of this (350 four strokes in the 250 class). I agree on the Open class, run what you brung.

Brian

Brian