Homepage Photo Quiz - January 2008

Started by Admin, December 28, 2007, 12:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3putt

One of the things I noticed early was the tire tread.  They have a mildly aggressive TRIALS style tread.   When I bought my 69 DT-1, my dealer removed the Trials tires, and put on this style tread when I requested knobby dirt tires.  The Matador guys I rode with had much more aggressive looking tires when I got a better look at them.  I attributed this to personal preference at that time.   However, the last few bikes we have located, 70 Steel tankers both, had similar style tires mounted, and were Continental, and Hi-Point.   Was this the era when tire treads were beginning to change design ?   The later bikes the boys were riding all had a more aggressive style tread from various makers, but still not nearly as strong as those I have seen on some modern bikes.   I have been reading there is a move presently to a return of this more mild tread.   From what I read, the European Riders have been the first with this change.   I don't see enough of the current off road events to have witnessed this.   What is the reason for this recent change in tread pattern use ?     wnm

TGTech

At one time in my 69 Berkshire's life, it looked somewhat like this bike, but I didn't ever use the top triple clamp bolts to hold the number plate; I used the fork ears.

And the center stand must have been put on the bike for the picture, because you can't have the stand on it with the down pipe.

I don't remember why I did this, but I made my own down pipe. It was the first pipe I every built and it worked just great.

Paul, the only "other" think I notice in the picture, is that the sweatshirt is on backwards.

Paul Danik

I am sorry to say that our own Randy "the calendar man" Kirkbride isn't the rider in this picture.  

Dane picked out the reversed sweatshirt.  I just got off the phone with our mystery rider and he said he put the sweatshirt on backwards because there was only the Penton crest on the front and they liked the wording on the back better for the picture. I have urged him to register for the message board and if he does he has some interesting stories to tell.

I mentioned that our mystery rider worked for Penton, but I guess I forgot to mention that he worked at Penton Central under J.R. Horne. Actually this picture and several others were found in J.R. Horne's home by the new owner and somehow they made their way to Amherst.  We didn't know who the guys were in the pictures but we figured they were from Texas, so I sent the pictures to Richard Sanders, Richard solved all of the mysteries for us and he even signed up our mystery rider in the POG.

Paul

taxman

Jim

Paul Danik

firstturn

Well like I said...
I think you better look a little further South. And there is that neat little sticker on the aircleaner......

He raced out of Penton Central and if you will go back and look at your early Keeping Track mail outs you will find him with a lot more trophies.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

checkcrew

could it be Steve Wise from Texas ??

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tmc3c

How about Mike Terry?

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Paul Danik

He did work with Mike Terry at Penton Central, and its not Steve Wise. We have a picture of the gang from Penton Central sitting in front of the building with JR and Jackie Horne, but our mystery rider must have moved on by the time the picture was taken as he is not included.  Our rider later went into business for himself and JR Horne actually worked for him for a number of years.

Paul

tmc3c

How about Kurt Larson?

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tofriedel

I'm lost.  The Home page photo I see is the one titled "Which one is John Penton".  What do I need to do to see the photo your are discussing?

Tony - Lost in Maryland
Tony

Paul Danik

Sorry, no gold star yet.

Eddie Brasher did work at Penton Central, and he is in the picture with the other Penton Central employees that we have, but this isn't him.

Our mystery rider went on to acquire an AMA National Pro licence and competed in indoor and outdoor TT events, beating such riders as Mike Kidd, Steve Morehead and Ted Boody, he went on to win the AMA American Indoor Championship Series in the mid-late seventies. He also rode a 750cc Harley at tracks such as Santa Fe Speedway and Troy, Ohio, and he finished second at Peoria in the Expert class on the Harley, all awhile wearing his Hi-Point emblazoned leathers and using the skills that he started learning on that Steel Tank Berkshire.

That ought to get you digging in the archives Mr. Wardlow :D

Paul

Paul Danik

Tony,

Try closing out of the POG site completely, then reopen it.  I don't have any other ideas, maybe someone else does....

Paul

Frosty

Quotequote:Originally posted by tofriedel

I'm lost.  The Home page photo I see is the one titled "Which one is John Penton".  What do I need to do to see the photo your are discussing?

Tony - Lost in Maryland
Tony,I'm having the same problem.Thought I was losing my mind.Glad to hear I'm not.Happy New Year everyone!

454MRW

When is the last time that you deleted your cookies and cleared your browsing history? I do this every 2-3 days. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R