Restoration or preservation

Started by rob w, January 19, 2008, 12:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

To restore or not ?
Deciding to restore or not is one of the big questions to ask yourself before you contemplate a restoration project. The decision is completely up to you, but here are a few pointers.

Most collectors will draw a distinction between preservation and restoration.

Preservation means to maintain the item in it's present condition and prevent further deterioration.

Restoration means to return the item to it's original condition, as it was when it was first manufactured.

When not to restore.
Motorcycles in genuinely original condition can be just as interesting (and often more valuable) to other collectors than those that have been restored.

If the majority of the following statements are true then leaving the bike in unrestored condition may be the best choice:
-the bike is complete
-the bike is in working order
-the paintwork is largely intact (over 50%, say) and original
-the bike is worth more in original condition
-the bike has some historical significance that means it is more interesting and/or valuable in original condition

When to restore
If any of the following are true then restoration may be a better option.
-the bike is damaged
-parts are missing
-it has previously been repainted with the wrong colors
-most of the original paint is missing and the metal is rusty

Bear in mind that any restoration work may lead to repacement of the original parts and paint with modern equivalents.
For some people this is reason enough to leave the machine in it's original condition and concentrate instead on conservation.
Many museums, as a matter of policy, choose preservation over restoration.

This is something I ran across, and copied.
Do you agree.
Bob

cubfan1968

I agree with the article. I think sometimes one gets caught up in the idea a bike needs to be pristine to be appreciated. I think what is fun for the individual, may it be a bike like "Louk" one of Tom B's rides or just a rider.

Heck, one of the best photos I ever saw on this site is the photo of Larry's Six Day after the Reunion Ride a few years ago. Dirty and grimey, that bike was a warrior.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

SouthRider

A third category that I would consider adding to the above is "period racer".

Take an old bike that is beyond any sane restoration and build it into a bike that would have been raced during it's time period, complete with appropriate period modifications.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

slvrbrdfxr

Bob,
I agree. This is an good way to help someone decide how to approach any new projects. I was faced with this very decision a few years ago and actually ended up doing a bit of both restoration and peservation on the same project. The bike was my 68 Steeltanker V0144 which was in decent shape when I brought it home. I wanted to keep the bike as original as possible but yet make it operational too at the same time. The biggest hurdles I had to face in the process were the engine, the seat and a broken footpeg mount which were the worst parts of the bike. I ended up doing a total rebuild on the engine and having the seat recovered. I fabricated a new footpeg mount and welded it back on the frame. Other than that, the rest of the bike was completely diassembled, cleaned up and reassembled using the original parts. In the process of cleaning up all the original parts I also put a light coat of paint on the exhaust pipe to protect and preserve it from any farther rust. In the end the bike turned out real nice. I think I got the best of both worlds in the process by retaining it's collectable value and originality too. Thanks for the post.
Dave McCullough

swamp fox

Bob,
Are you prodding me along? ;) It's seems funny that I'm trying to get my arse in gear and do some of this right now. I'm contemplating the paint for the frame of the six day I bought and plan on riding. There's just too much rust to ignore. I've been looking at different paints trying to match the original and can't seem to quite close the gap. The motors I have for the bikes were rebuild by Dr. Doug and he made them look so nice [8D] it's hard to put them into a frame that doesn't shine as such. I hope to get something close so I can just play on one again.
TC is itchin' for me to join him on the battlefield at the ISDT Qualifier and ISDTRR.
Hopefully the purists won't string me up if it's not spot on.[xx(]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

OhioTed

Speaking from the point of view of someone who simply admires any and all bikes, I really enjoy seeing both full restored examples, as well as originals.  The full restos speak for themselves, but the original bikes are always interesting and exciting.  

For example, and forgive my somewhat fuzzy memory, but I recall seeing Dave Mungenast's ISDT Triumph on display somewhere a few years back (maybe at the AMA museum), and it looked like Dave had just brought it in from the event - without even cleaning it.  The effect was awesome!  It was like being a part of what Dave and the bike had experienced.  

I also got a great kick out of seeing Jeff Borer's trail-fresh Steel Tanker on display at the Packard Museum last year.  Standing close to the bike, you could even catch a little whiff of premix.  Oh yeah!!!

Also, Paul Danik spoke of very favorable comments on his "patina'd" ISDT CMF Six-Day, at that fancy-dancy car show, where he displayed the bike last year.  

Now, if I could only find a bike that fits within Bob's list of "when not to restore" . . .

Rain Man

Swamp Fox, Dougs rebuilds look just fine all painted up inside that rusted and twisted frame with the ripped up seat and the wobbly old rims.  And its alot cheaper than restoring too!!

I'd rather be out riding my preserved  bikes than looking at my restored bikes. Also I can afford 3 preserved riders to only one thats truly restored.

Money and time are the 2 biggest issues in any proper restoration project. I cant elaborate enough on the importance of money to finish the job. Cash  has stopped many a project in its infancy, unfortunately...

And to quote LT here, when its finished, preserved or restored, its all yours !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

Okay since these pictures, I've taken this bike completely apart. I've done my homework, and from the tell tale evidence I can honestly say that this bike has'nt been ridden much.  
 Besides the Cranke rear brake stay, and Currnet shocks, it is 100% original.
 I would'nt be surprised if it still has Austrian air in the tires. :D
This bike has been so much fun to work on. The project will consist of complete disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly.
 I'm going to street legalize it, and ride this one around the streets of Amherst on Sept.13th and 14th. Can't wait !
 In these pictures - I first got it home and given it a wipe-down, but have not really cleaned it much.

454MRW

Bob,
What a great "Survivor" and an even greater catch! I completely agree with the when to restore, and when to only preserve. In my opinion, a bike that is to be ridden frequently or raced occasionaly usually winds up at the level that is accomplished from preservation even after a full restoration, and it sounds like you are definitely on the right track with this one. Rare bikes destined for show often deserve and require the completely detailed, and quite expensive, full restoration, but with the majority of bikes destined to be frequently ridden and enjoyed, preservation is the best way to accomplish the best of both worlds.
The bikes that I have purchased that were mostly complete, I am simply rebuilding and repainting the frames and engines, and doing some detail work. I have yet to learn the art of re-lacing a wheel, so the spokes are checked and trued, but I will for now leave that to the future owners to decide whether to take them to the next level, or just to enjoy riding them as much as I do. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

cubfan1968

Nice bike, even nicer price.

Have fun

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

don howard

Hi Rain Man. I agree with you all the way, couldn,t have said it better. After looking at the Barret-Jackson auctions over the week-end money is a big part of restoring or riding your favorite wheel. Some of them prices were way out there .   Don Howard  NH

Rain Man

Don I started a 1970 Norton "basket case" (a polite description) 2 years ago and you wouldn't believe the difference in price, bringing this bike back to road worthyness.  I had a vision of nickle and chrome plate, anodizing parts, race cams and electronic gizmos to "make er rip".  After studying and collecting the necessary parts, I found that it was cheaper to just go with the Lucas and Amals that the bike originally came with,  thousands cheaper.

Rob, your fortunate to have a fairly lo mileage bike to start with. I have 3 of those 1974 250's, and not one of them is even close to the condition yours is in . I'd be almost embarrased to sell mine  to some unsuspecting enthusiast, they need that much attention !  and those are the assembled ones in the stable...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

crash carden

Hello, Here is a rule I always follow when I start a Penton project.
       These old machines can be restored anytime and many times,
       but they are only orignal once! ;)
                             Crash Carden, Go Penton!

crash carden

Quotequote:Originally posted by crash carden

Hello, Here is a rule I always follow when I start a Penton project.
       These old machines can be restored anytime and many times,
       but they are only original once! ;)
                             Crash Carden, Go Penton!

rob w

That's absolutely right Chuck. Like everything in the world that is antique, vintage, or collectable - original unrestored good condition always has the greatest value. Although unrestored bad condition, and unrestored good condition are two completely different stories. So the condition of the given motorcycle, dictates the proper thing to do.

Raymond, You better believe I feel fortunate about this one. In the beginning of this vintage motorcycle craze, I'd pick up every Penton I could get my hands on, sometimes sight unseen. I remember disassembling some of those early bikes - and the pile of unuseable worthless parts was larger than the pile of good parts. That's when you make one bike out of three. (not as much fun, and not a bargain)

Robert, At times, the wife looks online at homes/real estate in Mt. Pleasant. Although it's going to be six more years before we get really serious.
I've been meaning to do my own research on matching frame paints. There's an great automotive custom paint store here that I trust will nail it. All paints can be transfered into aerosol cans.
Get 'er done ! I'll help if I can. Oklahoma or bust in Nov.

Mike, Rod, Dave, Ted: See ya'all in two weeks, right ?