Would you buy a bike like this?

Started by mau10, February 09, 2008, 07:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madloco

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

There you go....BIG bore four stroke.....
Would you prefere a 125cc. two stroke? :D

Here is Oberdan Bezzi's new sweet creature:

Pozdrav iz Rovinja / Saluti da Rovigno

checkcrew

I WANT ONE !!!!  WHATEVER IT TAKES !! that 125 needs to be in my stable.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 x 2 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 Berkshire, 72 x 3, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 74-6 Day, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

checkcrew

Quotequote:Originally posted by mau10

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

I'd at least give it a serious look. After all it resembles the XL Hondas. Parts and service would also be a factor, as alot of the "new" imports are "throw aways", and parts are non-existent. Definately a test ride.

Hi Thrownchain,
Beta is an italian glorious off-road bikes company and the  200 cc and 350 cc engines are suzuki (it's very easy to find suzuki parts).
The Beta Company today:

http://www.betamotor.com/en/home

During the early 70s some Beta machines were marketed in the United States under the Premier label.
From Cycle World (december 1972), this is a beta bike sold as Premier in the Usa market:

Brief History of the Marque:

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/beta.htm

A Beta Premier 1973 Enduro at the side of a Penton:

Maurizio from Italy
Maurizio, hi, the pic. of the Premier and Penton were taken in my backyard in 2006, they have new homes with 2 great collectors of Vintage bikes, just a little info !!!, thanks, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 x 2 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 Berkshire, 72 x 3, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 74-6 Day, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

wfopete

I think there is a market out there for a inexpensive, simple, reliable, 250cc or larger air-cooled bike that Mr. Joe average family man can put his feet on the ground easily and get on ride weekend after weekend alone or with his family/friends. The old Honda XR's come to mind. The Chinese try but they can't figure out the parts supply or reliability angles.

I don't know if the Beta is it, but it's a start.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Madloco

There is a new proposal for the Beta GS 4.0, made by Oberdan Bezzi:

Do you like it?

Schöne Grüße aus Schwetzingen

Dwight Rudder

Madloco

One more proposal:

BrianTaylor

I searched out and found some interesting designs by Mr Bezzi... here is the link  http://tinyurl.com/lcfs4p

To find the Penton and KTM stuff go about 1/2 way down the page.. Thks Brian

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Kip Kern

I like the 50cc and 80cc Zundapps that are being produced now in Italy.  CIAO   //www.zuendapp.com

454MRW

I still prefer the old air-cooled bikes. Maybe not as high tech, or able to sqeeze out the most HP, but less cost of maintence and more nostalgic. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

This is my modern trail ride, it started out a 2005 Yamaha WR 250F, then there's the Athenas Big Bore kit 290cc, then a set of YZ 250F cams, A lot of carb work like a power now plus valve and a 2008 YZ 250F exhaust & muffler. Now lets add a Rekuse auto clutch to go with the BUTTON. I rode this for a year (1600 trail miles) and my son who buys and sells new bikes on e-bay come up with a deal for me, After selling the motor from a new 2007 WR 250F we just put my 05 big-bore in the new aluminum frame, like wow, new wheels, brakes, tires, every thing new but the engine. Wait, he also had bought a new 2008 retro white YZ 250F. Now you take off the 07 blue plastic and replace it with the retro white, paint the headlight black, relocate the ignition module and add the LED tail light under the MX fender. Also had to have a trail Tech vapor speedometer/tachometer.

Now I have a 2007 white retro WR 290F auto clutch elec button one of a kind ride. I've put over 2000 miles on this motor and have yet to have to adjust the valves. With the big bore kit you don't have to wind the WR as hard as a stock one. By the Trail Teck Tackometer I'm running around 7500 to 8500 RPMs. i don't baby this bike I ride the, well you know.  Ol Dave

Madloco

Quotequote:Originally posted by BrianTaylor

I searched out and found some interesting designs by Mr Bezzi... here is the link  http://tinyurl.com/lcfs4p

To find the Penton and KTM stuff go about 1/2 way down the page..
Perhaps I didn't explain well what I mean...

Those two bikes, the Beta, and the Ancillotti, are maybe going to be build, and I wanted to know from you guys, if you think that there is a market for stuff like that in the States! ;)

Madloco

Quotequote:Originally posted by Madloco
I wanted to know from you guys, if you think that there is a market for stuff like that in the States! ;)
-"A little less conversation, a little more action please

All this aggravation aint satisfactioning me

A little more bite and a little less bark

A little less fight and a little more spark

Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me

Satisfy me baby
"-

Well, in "Rugginose", our forum, when we have some foreigners asking a question, we try to answer...

Your possible answers could have been:

A) No, because it's not made by Harley Davidson.

B) No, because in USA we forgot Pearl Harbour, and only buy Japanese.

C) No, because we don't buy Italian Junk, but only Austrian ****.

D) No, because Mussolini wasn't a friend of the American people.

E) No, because Italy don't have enough Military in Irak.

F) No, because we don't like somebody new coming hier, and trying to do buzz marketing.

...And so on... :D

Listen, guys: I don't belong to any Motor Cycles Company, and I get my (few) money selling furniture, but...

Since I had this Idea, which has being putted on paper by Oberdan Bezzi, I'd like to know your opinion about it, thanks a lot!

Pozdrav iz Rovinja / Saluti da Rovigno

marsattacks

You forgot- build it wherever so long as we can call it American!  

For those who don't know it, Madloco is a Rugginose moderator/contributor and generously gives input (and even some free translations!) on that site.

I would not take limited response too personally.  I am certain nobody intended any discourtesy.   And I for one don't think in terms of "foreigner" or local, and I would bet that very few of us do since we are united in the reason for this group and board.   Anyway, here are my thoughts.

I would buy one and think a decent number of others would too. Look at what retro has done for Minis, VW, etc. A prototype to tout at Mid-Ohio, etc would be a better guage but obviously expensive to get right.  Now I don't know how "retro" Triumphs etc have fared. But for the next 10 years or so I think there is a demographic bulge moving through the consumer pipeline for whom this type of design will resonate deeply, evoking as it does the golden era of enduro bikes. Lowish stand-over height, vintage-look tank, seat and plastiche/graphics. Street legal would be nice.

Click here to see Mars attack:
http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0208/images/marsattacks.jpg
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Dwight Rudder

I would love to have a Beta version of this bike.
Dwight