Sachs – Wrist Pin Bearing Failure

Started by Ernie Phillips, February 25, 2008, 10:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentrims

I had the same thing a year ago in the opening round Arizona. Piston failure around wrist pin area self destructing everything with only 5 laps of practice and some break in run time.EVERYTHING was new..a bad chain reaction that moved my little bike closer to the door.

I know...I'm gonna get it for this post! Have a good weekend guys![8D]

PS- Firstturn, the seat shipped out today...TB

Lew Mayer

Couldn't be that you ride like a wildman.[:o)]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ernie Phillips

Tom,  

Good to hear from you.   We had a great weekend at Ocala under sometimes difficult conditions and circumstances.  Marty Tripes and Chuck Sun were in attendance.   You too are a Legend and I hope will grace us with your attendance sometime this year.   But I'm NOT going to loan you a bike to ride;).  I loaned our new baby Berkshire to Brain "Black Cloud" Kirby to ride and it came back in less than perfect condition.  You and Brian have similar riding styles and histories of mechanical difficulties ...  He rode 4 different bikes and guess what – he broke all 4!  (just poking a little fun guys).  Brian did bring home a moto 1 victory in 100cc Expert.  More later ...

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

I broke two Maicos, one Can-Am and one Penton. Not a good weekend, but I did take the first Penton moto victory in the 100cc class. Unfortunately I could not back it up in the second moto.

Brian
Brian

bentrims

Good to get a report guys thanks. How was the weather? No Mud???

How did Chuck look? Saw him about 5 years back at Glen Helen.

firstturn

Ernie & Brian,
  Win lose or draw thanks for you being there and thanks for the report.  

Tom,
  Looks like you have a new Friend with Brian....

Thanks Guys (Christopher too) for representing Penton.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

Tom,
No rain, no mud but the dirt was like Saddleback which since you raced there you know exactly what I'm talking about. They are not kidding when they called it Hard Rock MX. Saddleback was my home track the last three years it was open so I didnt have trouble, but hard pack like that is rare in the SE and it takes a while for folks used to soft red clay to learn how to ride lumpy blue groove.

Chuck looked great, and rode great all weekend. He won Post Vintage CC overall Friday on an '84 RM500 and rode a couple of classes both days in MX. He had good battles in Sportsman 250 in Vintage and 50+ Exp in PV. I think he won all of them, but I'm not sure.

Marty Tripes was there too, and I have to say he is the nicest guy you could ever meet. He was truly honored that we had not forgotten him and his accomplishments. I really like that all us regular guys who used to only read about our heroes or see them at the occasional race (that includes you Tom) can now give something back to them and let them know how much they inspired us. It was really cool.

Brian
Brian

Lew Mayer

Ernie, way to go with 4 laps! and a win in Sportsman 200 Inter.
Brian, you must not have broken the Canned Ham too bad for a hot 4 lap pace in 200 expert.
Our own Chuck Reuben and Chris Phillips took 1,2 in Classic Inter CC.
"Wildman" Dan Pagel and Glenn Berry had first and third in Open 200 novice.
Pentons were well represented in CC.
Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

brian kirby

I broke 1st gear in the Canned Ham on the sighting lap. Most AHRMA CC races I never use 1st gear all, but this race I really needed it. On the third lap right after you left the MX track and went back into the woods I sunk the bike up to the tank in a mudhole right in front of Glenn Berry who was also stuck. It took me three minutes to dig the bike out and get it restarted.

Brian
Brian

john durrill

Ernie, Brian,
 It was nice to meet you folks. Hard Rock was a tricky track for 100 's
I hope we can meet again sometime this year at one of the events.
 Putting names with posts was nice. How many total 100's showed up ?
John D.

brian kirby

John, it was great to meet you too. We talked for a short time at New Blaine, but it was one of those group pow-wows standing around looking at a bike (the rear shock mounts on your Penton I think) and we never got introduced.

There were 9 total 100s, two Experts, four Intermediates, and three Novices. Kid Christopher and I were the only Pentons.

Brian
Brian

john durrill

Here is an update on wrist pin bearing. I had one fail 2 weeks ago in 2 mins run time on a new bore and piston. Thanks to Ernies warning when i heard it ticking i pulled the top end and checked. Sure enough the wrist pin was worn hard on one end ( the cage was a gray color replaced it with one from Al that was a dark brown black ). Replaced the pin and bearing and ran 140 miles in 2 days on that engine. Top end is still quiet as a new bike.
 Brian did some research for us on needle bearings and found this web site. It would be worth copying and putting in a safe place.
 http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/library/downloads/tpi94_de_en.pdf
Brian thanks a lot,
 John D.

gooddirt

This hit my  bike on sunday , I missed the posting info and it was to late. LG

Doug Wilford

Invisible. "That cannot be seen".  Mysterious, also.  Due to
most recent experiences, but not being trained in metalurgy. I
have learned (and seen) failures in rods, gears etc. that
in my opinion have failed because of age.  Just my two cents.

Ernie Phillips

Doug,

No doubt that age plays a factor, but I think "Substandard" replacement parts is a big problem also.  After the fact, I found out that my piston pin failure was due to bad bearing.  Same with repop selector keys.  My latest "discovery" is durability issues with replacement M20 bearings (China?) with the polyamide cage.  I'm now using NOS eastern european bearings with brass cages.  Besides the obvious spalling of the outer race, just look at the physical differences – larger inner race, smaller balls, machining chatter - poor metallurgy.  Guys, examine your replacement parts very carefully.  They are not all the same.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN