Racing insurance

Started by Mike Horton, March 10, 2008, 03:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

This is a little off topic but does anyone know of insurance companies that offer rider medical insurance for racing accidents ? I'm hearing that insurance companies such as Blue Cross will not cover medical costs for racing accidents which occur at closed course racing events. This is a very scary, since my son races in AMA district 36 cross country events.
Thanks, Mike

johnnysurf1

i have kaiser permanente,my son was injured at a closed course race,we are dist. 37 ama.he was abulanced out, hopitalised,operated on, all covered, no problems.

DKWRACER

Hi Mike, am intereated in this topic...AMA does offer insurance for AMA events as an Amateur...The underwriter is thru Selman Insurance
1800 556 7614 and website: http://www.insurance4ama.com/
They offer three plans for coverage for one year. At this point, I am assuming that any AMA event would qualify, Amateur only....? to ask, does our status, qualify for this insurance?

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Rain Man

Bike, huh, I fell off my mountain bike.  The Insurance stuff started on us back in early 80ish.
 If I can still talk ,walk or breath, you wont get me near an outpatient,ambulance or EMT !!  Sorry,  I dont trust those wanna be butchers with any of my busted up , electricuted, swollen, broken or mutilated parts.  I'll wait and go see my doctor in the morning.  Maybe he might have a clue...
  If I can still crawl to my truck and get taken home, I wont go anywhere near a  medic.
Oh ya dont jump out of a perfectly good running airplane either,  pick an excuse, they wont cover it...:(
 And your issue wont get addressed.  

MY 2c on the whole medical, insurance and injury issues and professions.
 phonies, plain old phonies !!!
(crank me up go ahead)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Lew Mayer

But how do ya really feel? Don't hold back.;)

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Big Mac

I've checked a couple times with job-covered insurance providers regarding competition injuries. Been told if it's an amateur event, defined as no purse being paid, coverage is fine. A friend who had a high-$$ treatment from a racing mishap found the same thing (fortunately) and was covered, but said they checked the event closely to see if they had an out. So steer clear of events where $100 in gift certificates or something similar go to the winner.

Sue-happy insurance companies is as much of a concern, I think. Last year, I had a bike get-off on someone else's property and broke a finger, and my son fell while skiing and broke his wrist...both relatively minor doctor repairs and small $ insurance claims. In both cases, the insurance company sent a questionnaire wanting all details of "incidents" and wanting to know if I'd made a claim against the property owners to get recovery for my medical insurer AGAINST the property owner and/or their liability insurer. Their letter suggested they would do it, if I didn't.

My memory had gotten real fuzzy as to where these events took place, so I provided little help and it was dropped. I'd bet if the insuror's payout would have been $2000+ they would have gone for the throat of the property owners, with me or without me. A lot of scary B.S. by the insurance industy.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Rain Man

The worse part about the insurance companies pushing this idea is there are so many guys that ride the close circut or organized "turkey runs" just to have a trail ride or a place to ride for the day.
  Think about the RR ride. an enjoyable time for all, is this gonna fall into the Insurance co. category as a closed circut race ??
 endless, just plane endless !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons