fanny pack, back pack or fender

Started by skiracer, March 26, 2008, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

In getting ready for some long hours on my bike I am undecided on the means for carring my tools.  I see a lot of fanny packs out there along with back packs too.  I have never used either one because of concerns of a crash and having something in the bag jab me.  Any users out there that would like to convince me otherwise?

Thanks, James
original owner 76 250 MC5
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

454MRW

At the 2006 Renunion Ride, I simply taped a zippered bank deposit bag securely on the handlebar crossbar of my MX-6 250, which contained a weath of handy tools. It worked well, but probably added considerable weight to the front end and suspension, Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Mick Milakovic

Back in the day I used to use a fanny pack turned around so that it was in my belly area.  I didn't like it bouncing around on my back and it was more comfortable, and easier to get to tools, in the front.  When I get my Harescrambler going again I'm going to try the fender pack for the first time.  Good luck,

Mick

Mick

linglewn

If you wear a chest protector, I recommend the MSR Roost Pack. It mounts directly to the front of the chest protector and doesn't get in the way. No matter how you carry them, just make sure you take the right tools without loading up your entire tool box.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

swamp fox

I wasn't sure about a fanny pack or fender pack myself, but I ended up getting the Stage 1 from Blue Ridge Racing.
http://www.blueridgeracing.com/motoKitOpt.htm
It comes with hardware to mount on the fender or use as fanny pack.
CruzTools also has some options.
http://www.cruztools.com/toolkits%202007.html
My hydration pack has room to put some tools in as another option.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

johnnysurf1

i raced all the dist.37 hare n hounds with a fanny pack with 2 water bottles,tools enough to repair broken levers,perches,chain,numerous get offs.the pack never hurt me and was not uncomfortable.on other bikes i used a tank bag, side bag,numberplate tool holder,backpack.my preference is the fanny pack.

skiracer

Hey guys, thanks for all the input!!!  I think I am going to try the fanny pack and see how it goes.  Thanks again.  James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

socalmx

I race all the D37 Hare and Hounds with a Camel Back attached to the rear of my chest protector. I added a waist belt to the chest protector to keep it from creeping up from the additional weight on the back. I carried the basic tools but more important was a cell phone and GPS unit.

SouthRider

Raced with a fanny pack for years - the trick is to set the belt adjustment so the pack just rests on the seat behind you without being so long as to bounce around. Buy a good one with internal foam padding - it will protect you fine from crashes (I know that from experience). Set this way it also rests on your hip bones when standing & you don't know it's there.

With a fanny pack - everytime you stand you are lowering the center of gravity of the bike by the weight of the tools (it transfers to the footpeg location). When you are seated it is usually when you are going slower & it doesn't matter as much.

With a tank bag, handlebar bag, or other frame mounted bag you permanently raise the CG by the tool weight. Mounted on the bars it is the highest location on the motorcycle, and also adds to the swing weight of the front end.

Also - resist the temptation to carry the kitchen sink with you - carry only the necessary tools to do trailside mantenance, and the parts needed to get you out of the woods in common breakdowns (chain oil, master links, spark plugs, axle nuts, etc.) Much more than that becomes a burden to carry if you are not riding a points paying 2 day or 6 day event.

Just a few thoughts.

Best of luck,

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

wfopete

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good