Cross country question

Started by Jim A, March 31, 2008, 08:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim A

I am a relative newbie to vintage racing. I see Cross Country races at some of the vintage race venues. Is CC the same as a Hare Scramble? Just curious as here in the South at least the term is not used in modern bike races, just Hare Scramble and Enduro.
Thanks,
        Jim

Jim A
Jim A

Ernie Phillips

Jim,

Vintage CC and Hare Scramble are very similar.  In CC you get to ride a "sighting lap" lead by one of the orgainizers.  The course is marked with arrows run through natural terrain.  Typically, the sighting lap is at 8:30am, race at 9:00am.  Dead engine start, Experts first row, then Intermediate and Novice seperated by 1 minute.  Race lasts for 1 hour.  Fastest rider wins.  Of the races I've attended, 1 hour of racing may be anywhere from 4 to 8 laps.  Then, after a 1 hour break, the PV bikes race.  Come out and join us.  I find the CC to be the most fun of all Vintage events.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

Jim, AHRMA uses the blanket term Cross Country to cover all "offroad" type events. The normal CC event is a 1 hour hare scramble like Ernie said, and that is what is run at almost all CC races. But they also have ISDT Qualifier type events that are two days long and scored like a Six Day Qualifier. On the Qualifier events you impound your motorcycle and when your minute is up you get it and get in line to start. You are in 3-4 rider rows by minute just like an enduro. If you have a chance you should make it to the ISDT Reunion Ride in November, John, Jack Penton were there, along with Chad and Paul Danik and a host of over ISDT vets.

Brian
Brian

Jim A

Thanks for the explanation. My Berkshire is almost complete and I may try some CC along with MX at the events that offer both.
Regards,
        Jim

Jim A
Jim A