ISDTRR Warm-up April 19-20, 2008

Started by Ernie Phillips, April 21, 2008, 01:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Combs, Rock-can-saw:  Wonderful weather, wonderful people, beautiful Spring time in the Ozarks ... and so many dang rocks.  More broken chains and flat tars than I can remember.  The 20+ inches of rain over the last month left to course very rough.  The soil had washed away on hilly trails leaving sharp edged and loose rocks everywhere!  Team "Phillips Vintage" (Ernie – Berkie, Christopher – Six Day, and Wendell – Jack Piner) had a perfect outing with got class wins and Gold.  Team Latte was a no-show.  Penton's were plentiful and well represented.  Tom Flores had a good outing on Saturday even recovering from a broken chain to claim top spot in Historic Open.  Sunday was not so kind to Tom with a flat tire and busted seat resulting in a DNF.  Mike Husted and Wendell had a good race in the final MX.  Penton rider Stan Newton made a nice outside move on Michael Johnstone (trick BSA) to take top spot in his MX race.  After a slow start, Brian Kirby (Can-Am) showed no respect to cousin Ernie who once again hole-shotted on his little Berkie.  The Berkie held him off for 3 laps, but once the rotary valve racer got by ... he was gone.  (Rumor has it that Brian has a Berkie project lined up)  In the combined Classic MX, Christopher hole-shotted and proceeded to check-out only to fall pray to over-exuberance and slid out and stalled his motor mid-way through lap one.  Dwight Rudder (Honda SL 100++) inherited the lead.  Marc Hodge on GS Tuned Six-Day hounded Dwight for 8 laps.   Marc showed respect for the multi-time ISDT/E Gold Medalist and finished a strong second.  Bill Ryburn riding a very nice Steel Tanker overcame chain problems on Saturday and was able to complete the course on Sunday.  It was a great weekend with fine riding and great fellowship around the camp fires.  Many more Pentons present – please share your Rock-can-saw experience.   Thank you Teddy L and the Razorback Riders!  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

It is true, thanks to Paul "SoCal" Johnstone, I will be acquiring a Berkshire project which I will use to wage all out Jihad against the hordes of Hodakas in the 100 class. ;)

Stan Newton rode the wheels off his Penton in the final motocross test and pulled off a sweet outside pass to take the lead. Joe Murphy pulled a second place start in his moto and looked smooth. As usual Ernie pulled a holeshot against a gate of much bigger and faster bikes, I know he's cheating somehow I just have to figure out how he's doing it. Tom Flores was sick and had to pull out before the end of the second day, I was really looking forward to seeing him on the MX track. Make no mistake, Tom is seriously fast. Marc Hodge put in a solid ride all weekend and with some last minute carb parts help from Ernie, made it to the MX test. Kid Christopher rode well all weekend and had the final MX test in hand and fell while way out front. In Classic Intermediate Marc and Christopher, both on Six Days, finished only 7 seconds apart after two days of racing.

Brian
Brian

brian kirby

I forgot to mention that Bobby Lucas was there picking up my Uncle's Jackpiner engine and helped support the Penton riders. Anyone that knows Bobby ask him to tell you the story about filling up with fuel on the way to Combs last weekend.

Brian
Brian

Bamamarc

Thanks for all the help this weekend. From the rear axle nut on Saturday to the carb part on Sunday. Everyone is one big family, just ask anyone for a part and they will dig in their tool box to look.:) Without their help I would have been on the sidelines. THANKS  If it had not been for all the deep sand I could have done better.:D What a great ride. Thanks to Mr.Doug Wilford for a great motor, I never knew a 125 would run like that. Little Chris was faster than me on the special test. On the MX, the 16 year old took off really fast, all I could see was his rear wheel until he washed out. Dwight passed me and that is when the WILFORD 125  fire started. Third gear turns, fan the clutch hold the throttle WFO and hold on. What fun we OLD MEN have. To anyone who missed it, be there next year. This is my third year and hope to be there again.

Marc Hodge
72 Six Day
74 Harescrambler
74 250 MAG
83 RM125
01 KTM300
02 1150GS

Joe Murphy

Brian, thanks for the kind words. If I would just lose 50 lbs. the 175 would beat the 400 to the corner.  One hell of a good time in Combs Arkansas.
murph

brian kirby

Joe, considering that was a big bore Maico and you were only about a bike length back on your 175 I think that was an excellent start.

Brian
Brian

rd400pi

Combs was a great time once again.  I kinda wished Wendell would have killed me at the end of the mx instead of just passing me.  My arms were so pumped and I was so tired I had visions of sailing off the bike on the last lap.  Glad that didn't happen.  Bike ran like a champ and weather was perfect.  Good to see Poggers there as well.  Cheers!

Mike H.
  Tulsa

Tflores

What a great ride and experience!!  A definite do it again event.

Thanks to Team Phillips Vintage, Brian Kirby & his mother for all the help and support before, during and after the race, what a great group of people.  

Special thanks to Wendell and Brian, Wendell saved my day Saturday by giving me a chain to complete the race.  He actually left his starting position after the lunch break to get me the chain.  Brian kept me from breaking the rest of my fingers by installing some bark busters on my bike during the lunch break.

Hope to ride and hang out again with you all soon!

Tom Flores

Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

tlanders

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for coming and making it such a great event. So many people pitched in and helped whenever it was needed - you guys are the best!!!! There were a lot of Pentons, great to see and hear. I just got off work, I am in Texas on a job. Going to attempt the scoring tonight. Wish me luck!!!

Teddy