tailight flap

Started by marsattacks, April 26, 2008, 07:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Greetings. I'm planning to light up a 72 Jackpiner (seems to be an MX). I've researched via search function and photos w/o definite answer so here's a question:  for those enduro-equipped bikes that use a rubber flap tailight and plate support, it seems like they (maybe most or all) run the flap through the rear frame loop. This is different to Bultacos, for example (Sherpa-T, Frontera and Alpina) which never seem to loop the flap through the frame loop. I'm prob going to use a Bultaco light flap since these are currently remanufactured and easily available. Realizing the vagaries introduced by dealer-installed light kits, is there any semi-clear answer on whether to loop? I'm not looking for absolute originality but will loop it through if that is they way they arrived, and otherwise won't loop. I invite and welcome any thoughts or suggestions. I plan to use the CEV round tailight, by the way. I have yet to actually receive possession of the bike and am hoping it has a lighting coil and junction box that will accept the wiring or I'll be rigging that too. Warm regards, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

cubfan1968

I appears you found a new ride, where did you get it? Condition? I want to know the good stuff.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

marsattacks

This was an ebay deal, which generally I'd avoid for complete bikes, but I'm hopeful and got lucky one on a Bultaco 7 yrs ago. I haven't received possession of JP yet. Bike reportedly runs and appears to be complete save the fenders, which are p petty. The bike has a mikuni, a left-side case guard, nice tank, a fork brace, nice pipe w heat shield, and good side plates. Not sure of clutch condition. Bike has a title. Keeping my fingers crossed. Seller is focusing on Greeves bikes and picked this up to tool around dirt trails but never did.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

paul

Hey let us know what you find for a tail light. I'd like to have one also. My 72-125 has the original tail light, which was never intalled till I got the bike so I dont even leave it on for fear of breaking it. The headlight is a little hard to hit but the rear hangs out and with my luck I'd bust it either kicking it, loading it or something. Really hadnt thought about Sherpa parts. Hughs was actully really good to deal with when I had Pursangs so...Let us know whatchya come up with. Thanks, TTP

rob w

'72 taillight: there were 3 different possible ways (that I know) they originally came. All had small rectangle, marker/clearance light for a taillight. But different mounting  flap/plate methods.
1- an aluminum plate, with a 45 degree bend near the top to project taillight angle back, instead of upward.  Mounted to the rear fender with rubber vibration isolators.
2- a thick(er) (apx. 3/16") piece of rubber, with no fold-under flap. Mounted up close to the rear frame loop, so the frame loop made the rubber bend back, to show the taillight at a more proper angle.
3- rubber with fold under flap, mounted like #2 , not around and under rear frame loop.
For a '72, the larger round CEV taillight is'nt really original-like, that came around about a year and a half later. But if you're planning to ride on the street, it would'nt be a bad idea.
 You can find a marker/clearance light that's close to original size, at most super chain stores for $3.99.
Bob

johnnysurf1

i just put headlight on my 72 jackpiner mx it has a 6 volt lighting coil and i'm running a 12 volt preston petty headlamp # plate,don't think i'll put on a tailight,i put an enduro tool bag on rear preston petty mudder fender.if you need a clutch look at my previous thread.i put the new clutch in and it works great .....johnny

john durrill

John
 We made up our repop tail light tag mounts. The first 72's we got in March from JP had the metal tag bracket and a thing  like marker light for the tail light. The next batch i think had the rubber flap type that looped under the rear frame loop and used the fender mounting bolts. Took the place of the 2 rubber flat washers that were on the March bikes. We used a mud flap off an international truck to make the tag light mount up. and made a bunch of the round rubber washers at the same time from the material left over. We use a round trailer tail light assembly in place of the CEV. It costs about $6 at most auto parts houses and wally world. Looks a lot like the CEV light.

marsattacks

Nice. Thanks for the history, info and photo. JP departs Austin Tex for Pgh today and I'll start to experiment when it touches down. Regards, John
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Big Mac

I've made a couple of plate holders to mount up below a tail light mounted directly on the fender (as opposed to light on flap) from a black plastic wastepaper basket from Office Depot ($4). I cut a square just slightly bigger than the plate out of the top side of the  with tin snips and left a couple of nice rounded ears at the top. The rolled-over finished edge of the basket became the bottom, with the plate dropping into the groove. Put oversized washers on small screws into the fender. The plastic is light, flexible and indestructable.

You might cut the same in the pattern of the thru-the-rear-loop flap, soften it with a heat gun or hair dryer, roll it around the loop and fasten.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR