Off the wall question

Started by tmc3c, April 29, 2008, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I know this is Taboo but is anyone flat tracking a Penton out there in POG land?

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

thrownchain

Over time people have stepped up here and confessed to motocross, enduros, trials, drag racing, land speed record holders, and even road racing, so I would bet someone out there is flattracking at least one Penton.[8D]

TGTech

Thomas,

With the standard frame or the flat track chassis? You do know that there were some flat track chassis made in the mid to late 70's?

Dane

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

Over time people have stepped up here and confessed to motocross, enduros, trials, drag racing, land speed record holders, and even road racing, so I would bet someone out there is flattracking at least one Penton.[8D]

[:0] Not in front of the children!  

I've flattracked a few corners, but not ususally on purpose......

Tony
Tony

paul

Dane, A Kenny Roerts frame sold on Ebay a week or so ago. I had hoped someone in POG bought it. I was tempted but had sold my 78 and that was correct for the frame. Had I known how nice this 74 engine ran I may have given the frame a lot closer look. It was missing the swing arm bolt but that can be made. OK, who is going to suprise us at Mid Ohio and roll out a new KR 250??? Definately wish it was me as it would be a weapon in AHRMA.
 It would be interesting to know how Roberts got involved with that project in the first place. Did he ride one on the indoor like at Houston or something? I got into dirt tracking in 76..the year after the famed triple cylinder Yamaha that was forever outlawed after he rode it. Roberts was in Europe in 78 a far as I can remember or maybe chasin the AMA RR title but I dont think he was dirt trackin.. Good ole days, thats for sure. Lil History on that KR bike would be appreciated. TTP

tmc3c

Dane, I would like to hear of standard frame riders but would like to hear about any. I am aware of the Kenny Roberts flat tracker. I know of one in TEXAS and the other sweetie that Al has. I didn't know they existed when I was flat tracking in the 70's though.Shoulda,woulda,coulda.....[:p]

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

Thomas, I got a standard frame 250 (74-75) sitting here in a bucket waiting to get built. I've been slowly collecting parts for it. I got the 3x18" akron rear and a 2-1/2 x 19" spool front.
 I asked around what would be a better frame to use for this project.  The earlier CMF, the Hare scramble or the MC5 frames. ????
 I also was looking for a down pipe for it.
 Maybe someday, and hopefully soon I'll get this out there and campaign it.!!  Go fast, slide left, gosh how simple !!. (right)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Raymond,Please keep me up on your progress and your campaign! It will all be worth it the first time you power broad slide around a corner with the feet on the pegs!!!OOOH that feeling[:p]

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

Ya but what frame should I use, the Mc 5 has much better suspension,   the CMF seems stuctually more ridgid. and the Hare scrambler frame weighs a ton.  I wish I could get some advice from some where on this project...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Raymond, Wouldn't rake be a big factor? Also are you running short track,tt or 1/2 mile or mile? I am not sure of rake angles of the frames but if you can get the nose around the corner the tail will follow.I would think the Ceriani forks would be best also.I could be way off on this but this is just my ideas.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

454MRW

I may be mistaken, but I would think on a flat track, the shocks in more of an upright position than that of an MC5 frame would make more sense and a smoother rear suspension. The KRP's didn't utilize laid down shocks and they were produced in 1977. Low center of gravity is a plus, and long travel suspension wasn't needed, but Ceriani road race/flat track forks are pretty much the standard equipment. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

OUCWBOY

For running Short Track, you need to think of this. Shorter wheelbase, correct angle of rake, and with the Ceriani's you need the top T clamp open so you can adjust the tubes up and down in the clamps. Weight is also important. Try to keep the bike at 200 lbs or less for a 250 / 350. Other than the KR short tracker, the Best short tracker IMO was the 250 Ossa DMR. So, with that in mind, copy one or the other. The CMF frame has the WRONG rake and the MC5 is just too much of a MXer with the rear suspension. Remember, in the early years, you didn't even run rear shocks. I remember that the Steel Tanker made a better short track bike than the CMF 125's as far as handling the corners. Just my opinion

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Rain Man

I will change the rake where I need it on a CMF framed bike. I definetely have to use a 35mm fork for the wider tire and the flexing experiencing when cornering. I probably will have to find some stronger and wider triple trees. I run real short tracks up here with the longest being 1/2 mile, Drum brakes suck too...
 probably when I'm finished putting this frankenstein together, the only thing Penton on it is gonna be the KTM motor and the gas tank and a modified frame.
  Another thing thats happening today thats changing the track conditions is that where running wheelers on race night, and the tracks are alot rougher than they were 5 years ago.  With that being said, now we have 5 times the attendance and fans too.  A very good thing for both parties...
 I guess i'm gonna start with a CMF framed bike

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OUCWBOY

Brakes??? Rain Man......... We don't need no stinking brakes!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

I hear you Donny!! You are telling your age! I remember back in "The Day" no brakes being used on flat trackers,when I was just a kid of course!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler