5sp 125cc Engine wanted

Started by PentonRestoration, May 10, 2008, 03:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PentonRestoration

Hello folks,

I'll be needing a 5 speed 125cc engine for a 1972 Six Day soon. How difficult are they to come by?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

OUCWBOY

Jerry,
I may have one. Of course, it will need to be gone through. I will try to look tomorrow to see if the 5 engines I have are 5 or 6 speed.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by PentonRestoration

Hello folks,

I'll be needing a 5 speed 125cc engine for a 1972 Six Day soon. How difficult are they to come by?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

Any reason for the 5 speed ?  Most 1972 models came with 6 speeds.
Dwight

OUCWBOY

I had a early 72 (111xxxxx) that was a 1251/A5 aluminum cylinder and the same for a 72 (201xxxxx), however I had a 72 (202) that was a 6 speed.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

john durrill

Jerry,
 Your looking for an A Engine that had the better shifting parts in it.
 Bigger shift shaft , bigger selector key , bigger bearing on the clutch side of the counter shaft , better set up on the shift arm for adjustments.
They are a nice engine for the woods. You can install either the 5 or 6 speed tranny in that engine.
 The 5 speed makes a nice woods bike , you dont have to shift as often. The 6 would be better if your wanting to do cross country or mx i think,  because there is a big jump between 4 and 5th on the 5 speed.
 The 5/6 A is the 125 engine we use for the woods and love it. Last ride  we did was a dual sport ride with modern bikes. Dirt roads , Jeep trails , ATV trails and one track. It could keep up with the modern bikes and we got 50 miles to the gallon that day Chuckle chuckle!!!!.
 John D.

Kip Kern

Stick with the early 5 speed, easier to adjust the shifting, same gears as the later 5 speed,  NOS shift keys always available with no fear of snapping repops.  (.913 measured from the outer left case surface to the shift shoe in 3rd gear.)  Better parts availability, no need for a 6 speed unless you are road racing or a pro these days. Have fun and shim/shift properly and you will have no problems.  I just tore down 2 "68" Pentons and the keys/gears are still in perfect condition;)

PentonRestoration

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, it's an early 72 125cc with the 1251/5A aluminum cylinder.  The original engine is in very rough condition and is likely not repairable.  To give you an idea just how bad it is, I haven't been able to get it apart.  It's completely seized.  Aside from getting the head off and the side cases, that's about all I've managed.  I'm not too bad with old engines but, this one is particularly bad.  

The rest of the bike WAS in very rough shape as well.  I've made a lot of very positive progress restoring the rest of the bike.  As I've said in previous posts, I would have never attempted to restore a bike in such poor condition but it's the first motorcycle I owned.  I rode this bike (not one like it, the very same bike) back in the early 70's as a kid and to be honest, it has become a bit of a legend among a group of friends and people I rode with as a kid and currently ride with.  It seems that whenever we get together, someone (not me) brings up "The Penton" which believe it or not is still occasionally used as a standard of comparison for performance. : )

Once I complete the restoration, I don't plan to ride it as a trail bike (I have a modern bike for that abuse) but, only expose it to to light use.  Much like some folks keep and an use an antique car.  Believe it or not, I still have my old Penton riding jersey.  Which mysteriously has shrunk by at least 50%. Must have been made from faulty material. :)

I've been taking lots of pictures and even some video which I'll edit into a video when I'm finished and post the link in the main section.

By the way, if any of you restore old devices with rusty fasteners, have you tried freezing the fasteners out?  The electronics industry sells "Freeze Spray" which when sprayed, will bring the temperature of small parts down to -60 F.  The most rusted screws will unscrew if still intact. I've used it with great success.  I've tried the combination freeze spray and penetrating oil sold at the auto parts store but haven't had much luck with it.  

So, if anyone has an old 5 speed around which is in reasonably good shape.  Let me know.

Thanks again

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF230 Nephew's
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

OUCWBOY

Jerry,
Today I discovered a 1251/A5 from a 70 / 71 Steel Tanker in my 2nd storage unit. I had forgotten it was in there. Are you still searching for one?

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR