runs on choke only

Started by don howard, May 15, 2008, 08:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don howard

Hi All  i need some idea,s. ihave a 71 steeltanker 125  This spring it will not run without half choke. Have cleaned carb, twice can,t see anything why it shouldn,t run. any idea,s ?   Don howard

linglewn

If nothing has been changed since it ran normally, look for air leaks in the manifold area. Also, make sure there is plenty of fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor. Restricted flow could cause low float level when running. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

don howard

Thanks Nelson for the replyon the 71 st. Did put a small dab of sealer on the choke slide or plunger to make a seal. Will keep looking  thanks again  Don Howard

tmc3c

Hi Don, I had a problem similar to this and I found it was the gas cap.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

don howard

HI tmc3c.  Thanks for the advise . I didn,t check that, but will Friday.Kind of forgot to check that one.  thanks  Don Howard

riv187

Silicone is BAD around a carb.Gasoline softens it,then a spec will suck into the smallest orfice and your problem results.
 I would look at the pilot jet,then under it,,then also the orfice from carb venturi to the pilot.From there the orfivce leads to front of carb.I once had to use a strand off of a wire to dig out the spec.
Brian

OUCWBOY

Don,
I tried to send you an email through this site and it got returned. I am guessing that your email on file has changed.
I have a few choke kits left, 10.00 + shipping. If you want one let me know asap as I am leaving on a work trip Monday night and will be gone for about 3 weeks before I get to come home.

UPDATE, thought I had about 10 of these, but couldn't find a single one. Sorry everyone who emailed me. I have none.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

don howard

Hi Donny.   Yes i would like one of them choke  kits . What do they have in the kit? Sorry about the email address I renewed my membership for two years and since have changed email address. Its [email protected]    thanks Don howard