some downtime in my future

Started by chicagojerry, June 06, 2008, 12:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCTrailrider

Jerry, I tore ACL, MCL, Meniscus nearly two years ago. Had cadaver ACL replacement a month after the injury. All went fine, the knee keeps getting better. I'm 53 and most of the time I can't tell what knee had the problem. Hope yours goes as well.

MattyQ

Jerry , appreciate that about the mini , for my daughters ! I know what you mean about laying off the beer !  That's what I liked about Weight Watchers , I could bank up beer points for the week-end ! (lol)You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery ! Matty

Knute

Sorry to hear about the injury Jerry.  Hopefully the docs will get you up and running soon.  That and the new diet should have you feeling better than ever before long.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

dennis brown

jerry i live 2 hours from mid ohio i you need help with the cross country let me know

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

firstturn

Jerry,
  Sorry to hear the prognosis, but I thank you for all you do for Motorcycle Racing.  You are a credit to the Sport.  Sorry we didn't get to visit more at Tomahawk.  Please keep us updated on your condition.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jeff D

Hey Jerry, welcome to the club!  Sounds like you and I could be twins!  Just got back from the ortho surgeon and I get my ACL repaired June 19th.  Not exactly the summer vacation either one of us wanted, I'm sure.  Mine was due to 1300lb horse rolling on top of me. Should stick to motorcycles!  Heal quickly, pal!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

paul

Jerry, I had mine done a few years back. They used cadavier ligement to repair the ACL. You will be as good as new BUT wear a knee brace when riding/racing. Also do excercises that build up your quad muscles. My Ortho says that helps keep your knee "tighter". Its a real treat when they start twisting  and pulling your knee around to check for slop huh? Whatever, Its better than a knee replacement. Mine goes in when I hit the big 50. If you need anything and I can help please hollar. Meanwhile take care,TTPaul

Big Mac

Sorry to hear the extent of the knee injury Chi Jer, and all the other bad knee experiences. I've been very luck in life with no knee problems (big knock on wood) so far.

When I was riding in the woods 14 months ago with a local AA rider, he had a mild fall, wrenched his knee and last I heard he hasn't been on a bike since. Scary. I'm now convinced that being proactive by riding with protective knee braces before an injury happens is the way to go.

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations? I've heard really good things about the Asterisk Cell brace and the EVS Web, even though $500-$600 for a pair hurts already. Do the less spendy Thor Force braces or EVS SX02 provide any worthwhile protection? I know the EVS SX02's go for about $250 a pair.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Lloyd Boland

Jerry, good luck.  Rehab after the surgery is extremely important.  I am a chiro and have guided post-op rehab on several patients.  Hang in there, it will get better but get a good rehab person.

Big Mac, I shattered my tibial plateau (upper part of the lower leg, the bottom part of the knee joint) into about 30 pieces about 15 years ago and torn the posterior horn of both the medial and lateral meniscus.  (I was leaving my trailer on my bike at about 2 miles an hour, stuck my foot out when I hit a rut and the heal of my boot hit the ground.  Really, at most 2 miles an hour, barely walking speed.  It just shattered my leg like a hammer hitting a piece of glass.)  I had to use crutches and wear a brace for 4 months and I was not allowed to put my foot down for the entire four months.  They were afraid if I out any weight on my foot, the pieces would just go into a bunch of differnet directions.  The pieces were way too small to be wired or screwed together. I won't go riding without my asterik knee braces on.

Glenn Berry

Jerry, Sorry to hear surgery is req. on your knee. Hang in there, do what doctors say and hopefully you will be raceing again soon. Keep us informed of how you are doing. Goog luck Glenn

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

MattyQ

Jerry , apreciate you offering to pick up my daughters mini bike , don't worry about it , your recovery is more important !

Matty

chicagojerry

hey matty, i can do that. i'm able to drive. in fact, i'm going to mid-ohio this morning to drop off my modern bike to the other guy who is helping me with the course. that bike has an enduro computer on it and we want to know the mileage since we added a little more in the woods. but again, i can get that bike for your daughter.
 i'm looking forward to getting the surgery out of the way and i figured that since i will be exercising extensively anyway to rehabilitate the leg, i may as well watch my diet a little closer(ie: less beer :D) and try to get in better shape for when i can ride again.  thanks to all you guys for the encouragement
 see ya at mid-ohio  [8D]
chi jer

Glenn Berry

Jerry, any chance you had a chance to see if the 757 bars will fit 250? Thanks, Glenn

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

chicagojerry

glenn, thanks for reminding me. i'll go out and check that right now and get back with you...   i'll post a new note later on the mid-ohio update. chi jer

chicagojerry

hey glenn, they will work very well. just in case anyone else wants to know. renthal makes a  very good vintage friendly bend aluminum handlebar. its actually  a kawasaki 80 high bar. they are the only bar that i will buy for my personal use on vintage bikes.complete renthal number is     757-02-SI-01-185
chi jer