Frame paint help

Started by Mike Berrington, July 13, 2008, 12:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

I just found out that PJ1 discontinued the 1998-2003 KTM sliver grey paint.  I have 2 ½ cans that are too old to spray... (Working on a safe way to extract the paint from the can ....)  

What is the next closest thing that is readily available?    How close is the KTM grey that is still available?

Procrastination has caused my problem, frame is painted, (several years ago), but I need to paint all of the auxiliary items, TRYING to be ready for the 40th.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

woodchuck

I have some of the discontinued PJ-1 paint that you're looking for, bought it just before it was discontinued.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll check to see how many cans I have.
Also have the white primer they recommend to put it over and the clear they recommand that you over it (Did I say that right?).

Chuck Purinton

thrownchain

Close enough, just missing a couple of words, but you got the point across.;)

Rain Man

Mike,some of the spray nozzles were just lousy, If you got another spray bomb, try swapping nozzles. It worked for me, and I hope it works for you
2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Mike Berrington

Thanks for the help.  

Wood Chuck...(great name) ..  Yes I would like some of the silver paint,  I have everything else.  Are you going to Mid Ohio?  I only need one can but will take 2 if you can spare them.  Let me know how much you for the cans.

Rain Man ... I wish it was just the nozzles (have lots of those),  the o-ring that seals the nozzle in the top of the can disintegrated, so when you push down on the nozzle the paint sprays everywhere .  I even tried to "surgically" insert a new o-ring.... no luck

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Rain Man

Guess what Mike ?  Chuck use to be my Penton dealer back in the mid 70's.  and although he lives in the blue hair land of FLA, where both from Maine !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Lew Mayer

Mike brings up an interesting question. What spray will match well now that KTM silver grey is out of production?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Chakka

I had a frame powdercoated in Camero Silver and its a dead match. If you google that color you can find spray bomb alternatives. I havent tried one yet but plan to.

Chris

OUCWBOY

I powder coated 6 or 8 frames with Camaro Silver and they turned out great! Did that while I lived in San Diego, but now here in Arkansas, I haven't found anywhere this side of Memphis that even powder coats. I asked a shop in Jonesboro and was told I should ship them to CA to get them done. LOL

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

Donny

You need to get in touch with Kevin Grimes (Powder Coating), I'll bet he can help out.  He lives in Memphis and is a POG member.

Mike Berrington

I googled camaro silver and found 11 different silvers 69 ~ 81 and almost as many from 81 ~ 08.  I did not find a "camaro silver"  (found cortez, pewter, silver, & met silvers) What year(s) did this color come from?

THANKS

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

woodchuck

Sorry, I've been out of town in Corp meetings all week and just got home.
I'll check my inventory tomorrow and let you know what I have.
I'm coming to VMD but flying so we'll have to ship it by mail, etc.
Not usually very expensive for a couple of cans, I'll split it with you.

CAP

Mike Berrington

Very good,  don't worry about shipping cost,  I will gladly pay for the cans and the shipping... once I found out you were in Florida I figured it needed to be shipped.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

OUCWBOY

Kip,
Many thanks! I will contact Kevin.
Donny

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR