pipe mount question

Started by tvrc18, August 08, 2008, 09:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

Should the round chrome pipe mount on a steel tank contact the pipe all the way around the inner part of the bracket? I mounted my new Circle F pipe and the mount only contacts about half of the pipe. The top of the pipe is not touching the bracket. It seems tight but the bracket was not perfectly round to start and I did my best to get it round again before mounting.

Rain Man

I know all the cmf Pentons and later years all use a rubber gromet to mount the pipes between the frame and the pipes bracket. Al's web site shows what they look like.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

t20sl

Yes they normally touch all the way around.  But this is based on used clamps and used pipes that have run for years. In fact, on the bottom where the clamp is split it usually pinches the pipe and the pipe starts to squeeze out of the clamp where the bolt is and form a wrinkle over time.  If your not racing it don't over tighten the clamp.  Circle F pipes are made on thinner steel.  You probably need to change the shape of the clamp some if you have a large gap.  The hand made cones from Circle F are not always true.  Remember though that the OEM clamps are chrome plated and if it is extreme the chrom may flake off.  Another idea is to put a little lube on the clamp so it can slip when tightening.  How much gap do you have?  Ted

tvrc18

The gap is about 1/8 inch around the top quarter of the bracket. I cut a piece of rubber to cushion between the clamp and pipe all the way around and you can pull it out at the top. It will most likely melt after a while. The parts book did not show any type of cushion or rubber between the pipe and mount. Thought about buying a repo from Parmabike but they are not cheap.

checkcrew

i checked both my 69 and 71 and they are tight to the pipe all the way around, the stuff Parmabike sells is great quality, you will be happy with it {IMO}, hope this helps, regards, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ.- 69, 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 Berkshire, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 74-6 Day, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tvrc18

Mike do you have a circle F or a stock pipe?

Lew Mayer

Try a piece of the abestos(?) wrap they use to wrap exhaust headers. You can get it in 3/4 or 1".It should due the trick and hold up. It's a woven tape that should fill your space.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tvrc18

That is a good idea using the header wrap.

checkcrew

TVRC18, hi, it would be nice to see a name with your posts, it's nice to use a name when replying to questions, any how, my bikes have there origional pipes on them, hope this helps, regards, Mike Gallagher

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ.- 69, 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 Berkshire, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 74-6 Day, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tvrc18

Thanks Mike, I forget to type my name sometimes, I have to use two fingers and hunt and peck for the correct keys to hit.
Terry

71 steel tank project almost ready to ride