MC5 Specs

Started by tlanders, December 03, 2001, 11:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

A vinduroite friend, Fred Hunter, asked me the following questions which I didn't have the answers for:

"I might be in the market for a 'late model' Penton 250 for next year's season. As late as I can go and still be AHRMA legal...and
with as much suspension as I can get and still be AHRMA legal.  Would that be a MC-5?  What years?  How much suspension DO they
have?  The bike wouldn't have to be a beautiful example...heck, it
wouldn't even have to be running!"

Can we help him?

Thanks, Teddy

Larry Perkins

Ted and Fred,

If you want it to be a Penton and have the most suspension then you are talking about the MC5 which was made in 76 and 77.  As I have stated before the MC5 is my personal favorite bike of all time.  As a young man I won many races on one and it was the last bike I raced before real life caught up with me in the guise of wife, baby, responsibility.

The MC5 was basically the Replica bike of KTMs World MX Championship bike.  It was I believe about 9 pounds lighter than previous Penton MXers.  It was not a high breather and the frame was cut and drilled in many areas to lighten.  The front had 9 inch travel leading axle magnesium leg Marzocchis.
In the back was laid down and forward mounted piggyback Marzocchi shocks.  It was an excellent handling, powerful, controllable, lightweight machine.  Now of course I am not biased since I won a National Championship on one this year.  This bike races in AHRMAs Historic class in the Post-Vintage side.  It is a most potent weapon both then and now.  If I can help make one happen let me know.

leoheyman

i have a 77 mc6 250 enduro in parts.  may
sell all or part.  motor locked, running
frame all there...shocks, forks, seat, plastic orange tank, wheels

lee-lee
leoheyman

Mike OReilly

Did your friend get the info that he wanted re: Penton MC 5's? I just finished researching these later Pentons in order to purchase one. I referred to my factory brochure for the 1977 model year, and a Cycle News test in March 1978 for the "new" KTM 250 MC5.
The really important thing to know is that 1977 and 1978 were quite different motorcycles, but both called "MC 5". In particular, just recently AHRMA decided that the 1978 is not a "like-design model" to the 1977. (Which in fact is quite true). The 1976/77 run in the "Historic Class" (which primarily means a limit of 9" of wheel travel), and the 1978 run in the "
"Grand Prix" class.
If you want any more info let me know.
Mike O'Reilly.

Mike OReilly

Did your friend get the info that he wanted re: Penton MC 5's? I just finished researching these later Pentons in order to purchase one. I referred to my factory brochure for the 1977 model year, and a Cycle News test in March 1978 for the "new" KTM 250 MC5.
The really important thing to know is that 1977 and 1978 were quite different motorcycles, but both called "MC 5". In particular, just recently AHRMA decided that the 1978 is not a "like-design model" to the 1977. (Which in fact is quite true). The 1976/77 run in the "Historic Class" (which primarily means a limit of 9" of wheel travel), and the 1978 run in the "
"Grand Prix" class.
If you want any more info let me know.
Mike O'Reilly.

teamkbasa

I've kind of wound up with an MC5, but don't know much about it.  It has Marzocchi laydowns on the back and seems to be pretty complete with the exception of fenders, a seat cover, throttle housing and the like.  Other than that, it looks fairly complete.

Is there a source for a manual for this bike?  Do KTM dealers carry parts for these?

Finally, how do you tell if it's a Penton or a KTM.  The tank has a depression in it that appears to have held a decal the started at the seat end of the tank and swept up and over the top.  The side panels and tank are blue and the side panels have an MC5 sticker on them.

I'm afraid to try to start it until I find out things like what ratio the premix should be.

I'm pretty stoked to have this, but want to put this bike together properly.

dave swider
san rafael, ca

Dirt bike newbie
Dirt bike newbie

Larry Perkins

I have a decent ammount of parts and there are several other guys with a good supply of parts in the parts section of thios site.  I can also help you on the manual, tank stickers, and repro fenders and such.  E-mail me at [email protected] if I can help.