Restore it or not?

Started by Steve Minor, December 05, 2001, 05:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

As I experience another sleepless night in NC, the same question keeps returning....do I restore it or just get it "ridable" again?

Due to a series of uncontrollable events, I had to abandon my 1977 400 GS6 a number of years ago and have only recently recovered it. It's unfortunate, but this great bike was left outside and covered with a tarp only part of the time....so there is surface rust and "crud" in and around almost every nook and cranny. With advice from the POG guys, I "unstuck" the motor and at present I am crating it for shipment to Bob Lucas, in Texas, to be checked out. Now, in the mean time, do I completely strip the frame....repaint (or powder coat), replace nuts and bolts, shocks, fork tubes, etc, ....do a complete and total restoration..... or replace only those parts that "must" be replaced? My intent is to put a lot of "fun" riding hours on it and get to know it again.

So back to my question....do I go all the way or just the minimum?....just for the record, I can't wait to take it out and get it dirty!!!

Edited by - steve minor on 12/05/2001  11:16:09 AM
Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Steve, A Penton 400 is but one of many a desireable item to have, if you have a true 77 it should have dual mountable foot pegs which make the riding position adjustable, this in of itself is something to behold. being vertically challenged myself, I made a 77/250 out of nothing, believe me it really works!!!

Tom.....

Thomas Brosius