Trails Tires on a Penton 125

Started by desmond197, October 13, 2008, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

Here is the deal. I got some trials tires for free from a Friend of mine. 18X350 size. I live in SE Georgia which is all sand and flat. Mostly ride the trails on my property of 200 Ac. I was thinking of putting these tires on my Penton 125. I know that Desert guys used trials tires on thier bikes. Any Florida guys have any input on trials tires with thier bikes. I am a former Yankee PA enduro guy and it's usually mud and knobbies.

Larry Perkins

The only place a trials tire is a benefit off-road is on hard-pack or base rock.  In the desert it would be of no benefit unless if there was shelf rock.  There are people that think it works other places but it doesn't in truth.  It is physics.  If you have sand go with the knobby.  My 2 cents.

Larry P

brian kirby

Desert racers used to use a trials tire on the front in very large sizes, the theory being the extra flotation work better than a narrow knobby, but they used knobbys on the back. I agree with Larry, especially since the tires you are talking about are not modern radial trials tires, knobbys will work better.

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

desmond197

Thanks I guess I will put them on my trials bike.

paul

Hey, we ride North of you in Sylva NC and also at Durhamtown Plantation S.E. of Atlanta (must be close to you) and a couple guys run trials tires as their KTM's are street legal and they have absolutely no problem with traction. I was suprised to see the same bike as mine a 520 KTM keep up when I have brand new Metzlers on and he had some kind of trials tire. I thought before the day was out he'd be on his head but no problems whatsoever. I'd think about trying them on the Penton. TooTallPaul

brian kirby

Paul,

Those guys were using radial competition Trials tires, they cost $100-120 and are nothing like old trials tires that used to come on dual purpose bikes like the tires Desmond is talking about. They are special purpose built tires and work great on firm/rocky terrain, but knobbys work better on soft/sand terrain.

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

desmond197

I know a lot of guys that ride modern bikes use trails tires that is what gave me the idea and seeing photos of DKW desert bikes in the 70's with them. I will just leave the knobbies on

Kip Kern

Steve
I had a trials tire (Michelin) on the rear of my 200 KTM and loved it.  Super traction, fantastic in the woods wet or dry.  The only problem I had with it was "0" cornering and "0" braking like a knobby provides.  Other than that, tight gnarly woods, they are great for traction.  Our club just had the last Enduro of the year (Sunday) and many riders had trials tires on the rear of their machines (KTM's and Husky's), again, tight woods with dry conditions and a lot of logs. Indiviuals choice!;)