ahrma and the 1973 six days

Started by gooey, December 11, 2001, 02:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooey

.. hmmmmmm ... looking at the rulebook,, does this bike fit in with the Classic 125's or Sportsman 125's ?? machines by december 1971 ( 1972 models ) and any like machines, including the Sachs powered Penton ( 1973 is like 1972 and sachs powered ) ... or isi it simply lumped in w/ the pre 1974 Sportsman stuff ?? If I were to put a younger, smaller rider on the bike, can he expect the bike to be competitive in the SPORTSMAN class ??? I think the idea of being the only one in a class at an event is something of a turnoff ,, what do you guys think ??  

Ken Sholder if you are out there, my e mail has changed several times this year,trying to find affordabe high speed access , my current e mail is [email protected],, i would like your address again so I can send you a wheel/ money or something .... my e mail has changed and i cant find yours ... years about over and would like to clean it up ...

Mark Annan

ALL 71 through 74 Sachs powered Pentons are eligible to run in the classic 125cc AHRMA class.  They qualify under the like design rule.  As long as the suspension meets the requirements (the stock stuff does) you should be good to go.  Some of the 75 machines also qualify.  The ones with the same frame, swingarm, shock configuration as the previous years.  

These bikes can be very competitive in the class class.  I don't know about the sportsman class.

skipperclyde

Mark is correct.  This also includes all Sachs Powerd cycles such as DKW, Monarch, Sach, etc...  The only exception that I know of is if a bike is obviously and significantly faster then the rest of the class.  This could possible be the situation with a Sachs Powered 125cc D/GS motor.

Edited by - skipperclyde on 12/11/2001  5:15:20 PM

metalkfab

So what class would a 125 GS Penton with a " D " motor run in ?

skipperclyde

My understanding is that if the officials determine that the bike performs well above and beyond the similar bikes in the Classic Class, it would have to run in the Sportsman Class.

skipperclyde

The exact rule states "Machines which exhibit unusual performance may be required to run in Sportsman 125".

Edited by - skipperclyde on 12/11/2001  9:55:47 PM

gooey

thanx guys ,, I dont even own the bike yet,, but will soon ,, and am putting a plan together ,,, my $$$ assets alloctaed for bikes has been temporarily frozen by "osama grandmama" ( the lil wifey) ... after the freeze is over,, alledgedly at the close of he holiday season,or shortly thereafter, off we go !  I was reading the rule book,, and was kinda surprised the bike fit the classic class not the sportsman,, I THOUGHT I was reading it correctly

Mark Annan

They get in the classic class because the engine is essentially the same as the older models and because the frame and other components were in production and available before the 1972 cuttoff date.  The next couple of years come in under the like design rule because there were no signifigant changes in the basic design of the engine or chassis.