Sachs motors

Started by rick deford, December 04, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick deford

I just picked up 2 Pentons. Both are 74 Six-Days. One has a 6B the other has a 6D. What is the difference between the two motors.

Thanks,

Rick

Dennis Jones

Rick, The six D motor has no value at all and you should box it up and send it to me to rid yourself of it [8]

Actually it is one of the later series motors and if you use the search button in the top right corner of the page you can find out more than you will ever care to know about the six D motor.

What would be even better for you is if the bike with the D motor in it has the (lay down or forward top shock mount) If it does it will only have one mounting position on the swingarm for the lower shock mount. These are the rarest of  the CMF sixdays.

Congratulations on your find

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Doug Wilford

Rick
The "D" cylinder and head are different than the "B"  The
"D" has different port timing.  These are the only differences
for the Penton "D" engine.   Sachs also did some more stuffing
of the crank area.   We (Penton R&D)tested the complete "D" engine
and found the stuffed cases were to stuffed for long periods of wide open running.  Good for MX  but not enduros. Monarch used the "D" engine in  some models

Larry Perkins

Doug,

I never saw any "D" ones with the different port timing and stuffed cranks.  The "D" ones I saw only had the bolt on intake for bigger carb and all else was pretty much like a "B".  Now the "D GS" ones were the ones I saw with the different port timing, stuffed cases, small rotor ignition, and high compression head.  The Monarch Pro had the "D GS" motors.  This is why a lot of people think the "D" motors are trick when they really are pretty normal.  This is my memory anyway.  The only "D" motors I remember seeing in Pentons shipped from Penton Central were the very very very late 74 models and the laydown shock 75 models.

Larry P

rick deford

Thanks for the feed back guys. The 74 (S/N 409 77634) I picked up I believe is a standard Penton. It has the "D" cylinder, 6 fins & bolt on carb intake, but it isn't stuffed. I did locate a picture of a stuffed version on the Vintage Monarch web site.  It also has 3 rear shock  adjustment locations on the swing arm.

Now, where can a guy purchase a carb intake manifold[?] The one on my bike is homemade. I'm guessing it must have worked way back when, but, it sure doesn't look all that good.

Thanks again for all the help,

Rick