125cc IDST Engine/Rider #65 question.

Started by Dale Fisher, January 18, 2009, 08:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

I have a complete (but still rather dirty) engine used in one of the IDST with serial# 6724208 122 125 1/6A.  The green seal markings indicate the rider number was #65.  I am curious about what event it may have been in, if the matching bike is still out there, and who rode the bike.
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Paul Danik

Dale,
   The seal number most likely has no bearing on what the rider number was. The #65 most likely means that the rider of that machine was the 65th rider to have his machine tech inspected and impounded. My tech inspection number was 17 but I was rider # 81.

In looking over the Tech Inspection Schedule from the 1973 ISDT, the Canadian team would have had inspection numbers 42 - 61, then the Austrian team had 62 - 68.  Two points to make about my observations, first off I am just assuming that the engine was used in the 1973 ISDT, the other fact is that the Tech Inspection Schedule may not have been strictly adhered to.

The US Team was first to go through tech inspection and would have had numbers 1 through 41, I do not recall any of us going through late, but then again that was 35 years ago....

I see that your last name is Fisher, it is interesting to note that two Fishers rode on the Canadian Team, J. Fisher and R. Fisher are listed as riders. In looking over the official result papers from the event, Jim Fisher is listed as riding a Zundapp and not finishing while Bob Fisher rode a 175cc Can-Am to a Gold. So maybe that is a dead end for our engine ID question, but it is still an interesting coincidence.

I am curious to know if the fins on the cylinder head are milled down to create a level top, also, is there a hole drilled in the lower part of the engine that would have been used to wire and seal the engine to the frame, if so where is the hole located? Also, with the ignition cover removed are there any marking on the rotor portion of the ignition?

I hope this helps.
Paul

Dale Fisher

I guess that I assumed it may have been an earlier race.  The case has two wire holes left front (clutch side).  The cylinder has milling lower right side below the head with wire holes.  The head may not be original as there no holes that match the cylinder.  The ignition (Monoplat) has green seal marking.  Is there something else I should look for.  The carb as best I can see may also not be original as it is missing the slide and cap and there are no apparent drillings or markings.  I can check to other Bing bodies I have to see if there is any match.  No relation to the Canadians.
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry