Florida Court ruling concerning youth racing

Started by Paul Danik, January 31, 2009, 10:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I saw this post and wanted to pass it along.
Paul

Florida Supreme Court Ruling impacts age limits in AHRMA

The Florida Supreme Court ruled on December 11, 2008 that a parent cannot waive any rights for a minor child participating in motor sports.  This basically means that any liability release signed by the parent or legal guardian of a minor is unenforceable and would allow the minor to sue the motorsports organizer after they became of legal age.

Based on this ruling, AHRMA has elected to not allow anyone under the age of 18 to race in any Vintage Moto Cross, Post Vintage Moto Cross, Cross Country or Dirt Track event taking place in the State of Florida from this point forward until the courts provide a ruling to allow AHRMA to better understand the implications and the actions taken by the AMA and other racing organizations related to it.

AHRMA will keep its membership informed as more information comes available.

The link to article as reported in Road Racing World is below:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35263

Mick Milakovic

Am I misreading this, or did Florida just kill ALL youth racing in their state?

Mick

conrad2

As some of you know I teach scuba diving. Liability waivers pertaining to minors has also become an issue for diving in Florida. As of now some agencies require BOTH parents sign the waiver for a minor that either wants to take classes or just wants to dive at a dive site.

I guess they are telling us that kids have to stay in their room and play video games.
Sad to think that we can't even get kids to enjoy life long sports without govt. intervention.

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

Dave Mitchell

I remember when I started racing and would ride my bike to the scrambles track and get anyone over eighteen to sign for me.My how times have changed and not for the better. Yep park-em in front of the boob tube and create a whole new bunch of idiots that live thier life through reality TV.
Dave

Kip Kern

Gee, when I was 17, I was allowed to carry a weapon and kill people if ordered to do so.  I think I drank a few beers also during that time, just can't remember!  Guess the Marines wern't so bad after all!  No wonder a lot of our youth is totally screwed up?  Don't "We the People" elect these lawmakers? :(

sixdazed

Jeez,If i'm reading this right it opens the door for kids to go back and sue for things they did when young and "didn't know any better".And closes the door for good kids who want to go out and have some good,clean(dirty)fun.
       Dirt bikes and racing didn't totally keep me out of trouble when young[}:)],but they sure helped(idle hands and all that).I also remember getting anyone around the pits to sign for me at the races.I guess those days are long gone.I'm sure glad i grew up in the 60's-70's era,it's hard to explain to the kids around now what they missed!
           Mi dos centavos,
                           Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Frosty

That's a shame.If it wasn't for the experiences of riding and breaking dirtbikes,I would have been in trouble more.The government is not our friend and I think it will only get worse.A whole generation of kids will be hurt by this.What can WE do?

Jeff D

Rulings like this will effectively kill AHRMA.  In 25 years all our heroes will be long gone, we will be too old or banged up to race any more, and the future generation of AHRMA racers will have been effectively denied the chance to catch the racing bug in their early teens before they discovered cars and girls.  Entries will dwindle, promoters won't be able to hold events banking a loss, there will be fewer and fewer events each year, and AHRMA will fade into history or evolve into a historical society with a few concours d'elegance events a year but no competition.  Hope I'm wrong.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

tomale

Jeff that may happen anyway. the reality is that there are some who will take to racing old bikes but very few. I understand why it would be a good idea in the light of what is happening in modern motocross but I think we have to realize that most of us are riding theses old bikes because we are trying to hold on to a bit of our youth. For the young of to day, the best that we can hope for is to lure them in with the fun of racing in its basic form. Some will take to it but not too many.... and then our era will die....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

wfopete

I have to agree with Thom.  How many of us share the same interest of our fathers?  A lucky few, but not many I'll bet.  I think the best technique for sustaining the drive is to have a vintage "loner" bike(s) and share them with the family.  It's not about racing, power or suspension; it's about bonding, good times and memories.  Modern suspension and horsepower doesn't stand a chance against that.

Just remember to hang onto the bikes when the kids hit 16, discovers the rest of the world and starts moving on, because when those "kids" are 40, that old ride and the memories that go with them will mean more than any new bike.

I own a '67 Pontiac Firebird, two Wheel Horse lawn tractors and about a dozen vintage dirt bikes.  All of them bring back fond memories of my childhood youth.

I have literally gone back to the farm where I grew up and got permission to dig up car and bike parts that I had "thrown out" years ago.  You should have seen the look on the owner's face as I dug through an old manure pile pulling out old memories!

Talk about sentimental! ;)

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mick Milakovic

Pete, now THERE"S a sight and a memory!

Mick

Mick

wfopete

A post I saw:

I wonder if they've checked the lead content in youth aluminum baseball bats? I have three sitting around the house, and my 8 yr old is more likely to lick his hands(or vice versa) after touchng his bat than his Hot CRF 50's engine. I won't even get into the dangers of the aluminum bat. I bet the answer is no, because baseball have more lobbyist/cash.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

john durrill

Pete,
 Or cooking pots and pans? This is ignorance gone to seed.
John D.

tomale

No kidding, A number of yeas ago when I was still working in downtown Seattle. Everytime a new tenant leased a space we had to go in and build it to fit their needs. As part of that, an embatement crew would come in and remove any of the acoustic panels, insulation etc. all of which could contain Asbestos, They would seal off the floor and everyone working would have to wear special clothing and airfilters etc., etc... It was removed and loaded in carts. it was taken downstairs and dumped in an open air dumpster.... What a scam!

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W