Party time at Indy

Started by Paul Danik, February 03, 2009, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Charlie Williams of Wicked Motorsports in Clermont, Indiana, in conjunction with Paul Clipper of Trail Rider Magazine, will be hosting a party on Saturday February 14th during the Indy Dealer Show weekend.  The party is being billed as the Trail Rider 40 year Penton Tribute. John, Jack and BJ Penton along with Dane Leimbach will be on hand from the Penton family.

Conrad and I are going to haul out a couple of machines and the POG easy up as a start of a Penton display for the evening. If any of you folks would like to attend and display your Penton at this event please contact Charlie at 317-290-0071 or at [email protected]  to make arrangements with him.

From what I understand things will start to get rolling as the days events at the dealer show wind down. I have always heard of this yearly happening and have enjoyed the articles that Charlie writes for Trail Rider. Word has it that Charlie used to host this yearly event in his home and would invite ISDT and ISDE vets to sign his bathroom door, when he moved he unhinged the door and took it with him, sounds like our kind of guy :) Hope to see you there.

Paul

Mick Milakovic

Clermont is only a 1/2 hour from my house; sounds like a hoot!

Mick

Mick

Paul Danik

Charlie says the party begins at 6:00 pm and runs till whenever.  He also said to arrive hungry as the main dish is Wickeds Eastern North Carolina BBQ and sweet treats.

On Charlies flyer, which I for some reason can not get to copy and paste onto this thread, his list of guests include not only the folks mentioned above but also the "Penton Owners Group plus many ISDT notables".  Hopefully some of you POG members from the area can make it.

Mick, looking forward to seeing you there with your Pentons.

Paul

Jeff D

Just trying to bump this up on the list so that no Indy-goers miss this party.  There will be lots of our off-road heroes and legends there and occasionally some foreign talent.  I met Geoff Ballard (Aussie ISDT guy) there a few years back.  Take your camera and something for autographs!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kip Kern

Charlie was at our annual MC Club banquet Saturday passing the word.  Kaleb and I hope to make it![:p]

Mick Milakovic

I plan on arriving about 5pm, with my own "Penton Future Project" in tow; see you there!

Mick

Mick

Rocket

I'll be there and bringing a friend from Missouri along too.
Rocket

Paul Danik

Conrad and I dropped off the bikes at Charlie's shop last night, very nice place.  Looking forward to seeing you guys tonight, any others in the area besure to drop by tonight and join the Penton contingent.

We did a drive by of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on our way to Charlie's shop, what a truely historical site.

Paul

Kip Kern

Wow, what a great time at the party!  Thanks Charlie for all the fun and all the great people.  Fantastic food, Pentons, Famous people POG members, too much! [:p]

Paul Danik

What an awesome weekend.  

It was great to visit the booths at the Indy Dealer Show and see so many old friends and make a few new ones. The party put on by Charlie and Wilma on Saturday night was great and there were enough POG members on hand to have had a meeting.

The highlight for me was this morning when we attended the Breakfast of Champions put on by the Blue Ribbon Coalition.  Bruce Brown of On Any Sunday fame was on hand along with Malcolm Smith, we were treated to a viewing of the segment of the film that shows Malcolm at the ISDT, after the clip finished Bruce and Malcolm told some stories of the film being created.

Bruce explained that part of the motivation for him to make the film was to try to change the image of motorcyclists from that portrayed in biker movies, I think he surely accomplished that, and much more.

One person whom without the greatest motorcycle racing movie of all time could not have been made without is Steve McQueen. What a shame he isn't around to see how his generosity helped to change and influence so many lives.

One thing for sure about the weekend, all you had to do was wear anything with Penton on it and every few minutes someone else would approach and tell their Penton story.  Some of the stories were about John and of course many were about his motorcycles. Anytime you saw John he was either signing something or listening to someone's Penton story. He surely has rock star status.

Thanks to all who helped to make this weekend such an awesome experience.

Paul