1976 mudlark?

Started by bert pack, December 28, 2001, 09:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bert pack

Paul
thanks for the info, i'm learning.  Larry alluded to a certian ignition side case, could you explain what i should look for there.

wta
bert

Paul Danik

Bert,
   You gave the engine number in an earlier post, it ended in "type 1001/6b, 97cc". Larry explained that those numbers indicate that your engine is a B engine, 97cc 6 speed.  Thoses engine covers are sometimes ruined if a chain brakes and are replaced with one that is in better condition.  If that cover indeed does belong with that engine then the above information should be correct.  If however, someone replaced that sidecover over the last 25 years for some reason, your engine may actually be different from what the metal tag says. I am sure that it is a Sachs either way.  Look to see if a 6 is stamped on the flat portion of the top left engine case, just beside the top left rear engine bolt hole. Note that the number is stamped on the engine case, not the removable clutch cover. If you find the 6 then you have a 6 speed engine.  Most all, iff not all, 6 speed engines have a lighter crank and are called B engines.  The earlier engines with the heavier crank are the A engines. To solve the final mystery all you have to do is remove the cylinder head and see what size the piston is. That is not hard to do and we can get into that a bit later.
Paul

bert pack

appreciate it Paul, realizing the tag is on the cover it makes sense now.  i'll check out the stamping and swing arm, also think i'd better stop by the AMA museum and buy some Penton books

Paul Danik

If you are located near the museum you might want to come to the Feb. 2 POG meeting we are having there. The meeting starts at 11am and Ed Youngblood is going to give us a tour of the gallery after the meeting. POG members and non members are invited to attend.  We are going to have a POG display the next day at the Mansfield Swapmeet. We will have more details posted soon.  Paul

bert pack

i can do that, i'm less than 2 miles from the museum, pass it every day

Dennis Jones

Bert

As Larry said the #'s you posted would indicate a Sachs 100cc. Unfortunatly the ID # is located on an easily and often damaged side cover. Since many of these get replaced the numbers may be wrong. My 1256B has a 1255A cover on it. All the Wassells I have saw have been 125s. Short of pulling the head I don't know how to tell the difference

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

bert pack

thanks Dennis,  i'll pull the head and find out.  i looked for a 6 stamped on the case as Paul suggested and could not find one.  i need to get a couple other projects done before i can start another.  i had been looking for a trials bike for a couple years and settled for a Reflex, bought it and 2 weeks later my nephew tells me about this Penton.  

ps.are shop manuals still available?