Carl Cranke Chain Guide

Started by Kip Kern, February 14, 2009, 11:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Anyone have a printed instruction on how to install/assemble?  I have the entire assembly but not completely sure how it mounts on the machine[?]   Thanks in advance;)

Jdbglover

I hope the pictures come through. If I rember correctly I had to enlarge the first bolt hole that fited on the swing arm near the pivot point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30093560@N03/3282150358/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30093560@N03/3282147766/

Kip Kern

JD  Thanks for the photos, where is the spring loaded tensioner wheel at?  I don't see one on yours.[?]

Larry Perkins

They don't all have the spring loaded wheel.  You must have the cool one Kip.  Where did you get that one?:D

Larry P

Jdbglover

Kip,

I am not using a spring tensioner, I am using the rubber block.

see link to to Al B.'s website concerning the tensioner.

http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/3b%207%20ktm%20chain%20guard.htm

Just to confuse the matter more here is a link to some one selling a sproket for a carl crank chain tensioner that is spring loaded, but it is for a Husqvarna

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUSQVARNA-(NOS)-Tensioner-Sprocket-Penton-Vintage-MX_W0QQitemZ120377858907QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090213?IMSfp=TL0902131210003r34373

John

TGTech

The first version of the "bar", had only on hole at the bottom in the middle, for the spring arm that had the small chain tensioner sprocket. Then later, the bars were made for the plastic block.

Dane

Kip Kern

Thanks for the info Dane, Larry, got it from you!;) Now I am really confused![:p]

tomale

Now I am confused, this ought to be pretty easy for you, after working on jet engines. :D

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

454MRW

Kip,
I have one with the chain tensioner on it, but it is not installed on a bike at the moment if a pic would be of help to you. Mike
**Pics emailed of the chain guide with the tensioner assembly installed**
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

tooclose racing

So...there is a Carl Cranke Brake Stay and Chain Guide on Evil Bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Penton-KTM-Carl-Cranke-Brake-Stay-and-Chain-Guide_W0QQitemZ120554919603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c11a216b3

I believe Al B. also sells a version.

Just what ARE the advantages with this chain guide vs. what is already mounted on my 76 MC5?  On looks alone, it seems to have a huge cool factor.  [8D] Was this developed thru experience in the woods, or motocross, or mud, or what?

BTW - I've read the discussion above.  Am I fine just using this with the plastic block guide?

Thanks for the feedback.

tooclose racing

Oops...it's GONE already.  Darn it, I knew it was a good deal.  Still hoping someone here will share a little bit about the advantages of Carl's Chain Guide design.  

And I might as well ask - does anyone here at the POG have an extra one that they want to part with?  [:I]

Thanks

G Ellis

tooclose give me a call. Later Gary

joe novak

Bob and others,  The stock chain guide works great in most conditions when aligned correctly.  If the guide becomes bent under riding conditions, it immediatedly can become an instant chain DERAILER.  Conditions like rocks, trees, thick mud, other bikes, et.al. can damage the stock guide.  The advantage of the modified guide is that it helps to reinforce the plastic chain guide block's position, and the extended metal on the outside helps to keep rocks, trees, other bikes, et.al. out of the way.  I have been very fortunate as to never have had engine failure on a motorcycle while racing or trail riding.  My most frustrating events were caused by derailed chains.   Oh, what I would have given to keep that chain on the sprockets....  bikes passing me by as I watch, while trying to slip the chain back on the sprocket by rolling the bike backwards.  joe

tooclose racing

Thanks for the input Joe...I hear ya on the derailed chain.  I was leading the Intermediate Vintage crowd at the Broom Tioga National CC last year on my Six Day when my chain and sprocket decided to eat a rock.  Heartbreaker. [B)]  

Well, I'm gonna give Mr. Gary "Blue Light Special" Ellis a call and see what he has on his shelf with regard to this discussion.  He's taken care of me before.  [8)]

Dr. Robert...

joe novak

An old school trick was to build a chain guide using a lawnmower blade.  I was told that they were high quality metal, and hard to bend.  Yes, back in the day, some off-road and racing motorcycles came without chain guides.   We had to fabricate our own design in our garage.   Joe