Tires

Started by Greg Settles, February 17, 2009, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Settles

Can someone advise me on the best brand of tires for a 250 harescrambler. I will be riding in the woods most of the time.

Greg

Larry Perkins

Greg,

There are as many opinions on this as tires but I will pipe up.  I am a Dunlop guy and for the woods and multi-conditions I think you would like the Dunlop 952.  I use it in the woods and the 756 on the track.  Sometimes I will run the 756 that came off the MXer in the woods to get it more worn out.

Larry P

Rain Man

I guess it depends where your riding.  In the deserts of Arizona and New mexico,  or the high hills of Colorado. The terrains gonna eat certain tires.  Roots, rocks, mountains, hot sand, clay.  I run perelli's like many more guys that are riding on roots rocks and hard pack clay. back here in the East.
 Oh ya dont forget the 10 mile long mud holes.  The guys from your area could clue you in and give you a good idea of whats great for your terrain ;)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

brian kirby

For a 175 or bigger there is no better tire than the Pirelli MT16s. I tried them on Dwight Rudder's advice and they are the best all around tire period, any brand any price, and on top of that they LOOK like a vintage tire.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

Talk to me about that Pirelli in the mud, Brian.  Pretty good tire other than that factor.  In the sticky mud they fill up and become a slick.  I ran them on my vintage bikes until I hit a mudder.  As far as Dwight goes all Parts Unlimited Reps push Pirellis.  Besides Dwight still thinks Cheng Shens are good.

I am just stirring the pot guys and all in fun with a grin.:D

Like I said Greg, as many opinions as tires.

Here is a synopsis of the best tires-NEW ones with square edges.;)

Larry P

brian kirby

I've used the MT16s in peanut butter mud at Ocala '07 and they didnt pack up. I have yet to find a condition where they didnt work. Where the MT16s really excel is in hard pack with a thin layer of wet slime on top, nothing is even close in those conditions. For small bikes like Sachs 125/100s I think the Cheng Shins work fine, but I would never put them on a bigger bike. Also, I like the Kenda Millville which I run on my modern bikes, a very good intermediate tire for a decent price.

But, it really is hard to buy a bad tire nowdays if you buy any name brand like Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzler (which is owned by Pirelli).

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Dwight Rudder

I have honestly never found a situation that Pirelli MT16s didn't work. Just adjust your air pressure to situation. I like CS only on 125 and smaller bikes.  There is just not a good selection for tiddlers. As for PU reps pushing tires. We sell almost every brand out there so I have my choice. I pick Pirelli and CS as my first choices.  I also like IRC VE35 and VE33 tires but they do not have anything smaller than 110/100X18 in the VE33. Decent choice in the 17" range.
Dwight

gooddirt

I have a 1979 husky 125 CR with a 17 inch rear rim  who has  good 17's and the right size for the 125?  LG

Greg Settles

Thanks for your help. I went with the Dunlop 952 local shop had them for a good price

Greg
Quotequote:Originally posted by Greg Settles

Can someone advise me on the best brand of tires for a 250 harescrambler. I will be riding in the woods most of the time.

Greg