Lectron/Bing

Started by paul, April 13, 2009, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Hey, Has anyone mounted a Lectron Carb an a 74 250 HS. It looks like a very tight stretch to get the intake boot over the extra large intake side of the Lectron.  How about stock Bing parts i.e. slide plus a needle and seat? Suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks, TT Paul

tomale

No I have not but, I have mounted a Mikuni on a HS and I would think that you would have a similar problem. to get the boot to stretch use some heat. with some heat, the boot would will stretch real easy. AS for Bing parts, try Bing international. they should have what you need. If you decide to mount a Mikuni I recommend using a 34 that has been bored out. the 36 is just a bit too big, it can be used but it is difficult to get it set up right and you will end up having to modifing the intake manifold.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

rob w

Paul,

Lectron carbs made for Pentons were machined smaller at the back end, than some of the universal Lectrons'.
They can actually be turned down to the exact same O.D. as the original Bing, to fit the boot.
That can very easily be accomplished with any Lectron in minutes, using a lathe.
I'd be happy to do that for you anytime at no charge.
OR...
How 'bout a newer style Bing, like used '76, 77, 78 etc. Has a different mounting method, but NBD (no big deal)
I probabababably have a decent one ?.............no I don't, just checked, they're 38's.

BW

Dwight Rudder

I don't suggest putting a Lectron on a 1974 250.  They didn't have Lectrons till 1976 and AHRMA doesnt allow them in any of the Vintage classes.  Only Post Vintage.  If you don't want a Bing , put on a round slide Mikuni.
IMO,
Dwight

john durrill

Paul,
I will post some pictures tonight of a 74.5 250 that Larry V did 2 years ago. He still has it on his bike and likes it very much. He has ridden 2007 , 2008 RR's with it and finished well both times.
Larry was new to dirt bikes . In 2007 he had less than 10 hours on one , total , life time.
You can order a new Lectron with the bell shaved to match or have someone like BW do it for you on a used one.
 I trimmed 2 for our 175's. If you use the air boot shown on Larrys bike, you dont need to have it trimed i believe.
John D.

paul

Rob, I would be happy with a 38. I pm'ed ya so we can talk when ya have time. I'd rather not put the Lectron on it but finding a carb has been a chore. Thanks,TTP

paul

Yep, I saw that today. You may get a 1/4 inch off before getting into the passage. Its such an oddball angle for the carb to airbox it would be hard to make anything that looks good and seals for a boot. thanks for checking,
 People say these old bikes work better with a round slide and I tend to believe that. Right now I'd be happy with a carb that actually works. I guess a new slide and needle would fix my Bing but aint sure. slide looks like its wore and it just wouldn't start until I swapped with the dellorto and man did she go. TTP

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by paul

Yep, I saw that today. You may get a 1/4 inch off before getting into the passage. Its such an oddball angle for the carb to airbox it would be hard to make anything that looks good and seals for a boot. thanks for checking,
 People say these old bikes work better with a round slide and I tend to believe that. Right now I'd be happy with a carb that actually works. I guess a new slide and needle would fix my Bing but aint sure. slide looks like its wore and it just wouldn't start until I swapped with the dellorto and man did she go. TTP

Hello Paul.
Any idea who this people are who are saying that other carbs then Lectrons work better???I am using Lectrons since 1977 on all my bikes and would never go back to any others.:)
But yes,If you race VINTAGE you cant.:(

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

tomale

I have no doubt that a lectron will work better, It is a matter of physics. I was working on a friends bike a few months back and he had a Mikuni with a black slide. The airfoil effect of both the mikuni and a bing is one of the major reasons that a Lectron works better. I quess I am wondering if slides like the black slide which mimicks lectron would be illegal even though it is still techincally a round slide... Or does it fit into that gray area like shocks that are using modern techonolgy or the gold valves in forks...

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W