VEGAS TO RENO THE LONG WAY

Started by Larry Perkins, April 28, 2009, 12:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

I am excited to announce that I will team with Tom Flores of Texas to ride in the 2009 Vegas to Reno The Long Way race a 3 day 1000 mile stage race beginning August 20th.  There are two interesting kickers to our attempt at this race.

1-We will ride the 125 Pro Class
2-We will do it on a 1975 longer travel 125 Sachs motored Penton

This will be the Flintstones verses Robby Gordon race.

This will be a monumental effort and we will need the help of some of the POG to pull it off.  Already Ron Carbaugh has stepped forward with the beginnings of the race bike and numerous spares.  Our hope is to still talk him into being our team manager to help ramrod the effort.  Doug Jarmin; who was my team's mechanic in Baja last year, will handle the main wrenching duties.  

This will be perhaps the biggest attempt of a Penton mounted team since "The Day".  We appreciate any help from POG members in anyway and hope a few will be there to hopefully see us to the finish.  More info to come.

Larry P

firstturn

As Larry stated we are going to start with a Sachs powered 1975 Long Travel 125.  We have a ways to go gathering up good wheel assemblys, a seat and other items for spares.  Always a challenge to look forward too.[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Sounds like too much fun to pass up!Anyone interested in a "B" team?
Larry,I spoke to Christina? at best in the desert and she confirmed pro teams can only have 2 riders.So if anyone else has interest in this race on another sachs engined long travel bike i have one and may need a co-rider.I'd almost rather just ride expert class for the plague instead of the cash(less entry fee too)assuming no late model 125's finish in front of us!but either way is ok.Hate to be a copy cat but what a cool idea.
                       Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Larry Perkins

Ric,

Why don't we drop to expert and make it a 3 man team?  I'll call you and see what you think.

Larry P

sixdazed

Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

dkwkid

O.K. We did it in 98 on the DKW.18 hours and 28 minutes.A few notes-build a stock B motor, you dont need a hotrod engine. Your going to need a Bosch Magneto with a rewound light coil. We even carried a spare ignition just in case. Check things like wheel bearings and other parts that you would normally not worry about! Save all of your luck-you will need it! contact me if you have questions.
Glenn

Larry Perkins

Thanks Glenn.  We were thinking an MZB electronic ignition. It is pretty bullet proof and runs lights.  Also have a kick helmet light from Baja last year.  Did you guys do the regular Vegas to Reno or this 3 day 1000 mile stage race way?

Larry P

dkwkid

We went the whole way in 1 day/night. Thats why we used the Bosch mag. Dont trust those old Motosplats!A Sachs motor will run a long time and no doubt will finish.Good luck.

Larry Perkins

Glenn,

Thanks.  Under this format we will have to run little or none in the dark if things go well.  Do you remember how you geared?

Larry P

dkwkid

We ran 14/56 which is stock for a DKW. If I remember I rode mostly in 3rd and 4th gears except a few dry lake beds where I got her in 6th! We wanted to finish so we did not push it at all. Only time in my life where people actually cheered for me as I came thru the pits.We will cheer for you as well.

Larry Perkins

Thanks, Glenn! A lot of people are offering to help and moral support in such a tough effort is very important.  Thanks for the tips and if you think of any others please let me know.

Larry P