replacement venues for vmd

Started by chicagojerry, May 21, 2009, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

good news for once from ahrma. george singler will be hosting an ahrma nat'l at smith road raceway in medina oh the weekend before vmd. also, in windham ohio there will be a replacement CC race and trials the friday july 17th. i will be doing the course layout with my partner in crime from last year, jim kuhns. also, we are leaving tomorrow morning to go layout the course for broome tioga which is in three weeks. make plans to race. the ohio events will have better courses than have been offered in years past at mid-ohio. thats a guarantee!  get your entries in early.    chi jer

Mick Milakovic

Hi Jerry, will the Broom-Tioga course use any of the MX track?

Mick
Mick

VICTOR MONZ

Wish I was there to ride, Singlar's, aka Smith Road Raceway was the first track where I got a 1-1 moto win back in 1972/3.....really brings back memories.

Watching George Singlar, Jack Horinek and Jon Leak race the Pro Class is a memory I won't ever forget.

Heck I'm all teary eyed !

Victor

brian kirby

Victor, George STILL hauls the mail. I saw him this Feb at an FLVMX race on a borrowed modern YZ125 and he was absolutely flogging that thing. I knew who he was, but most of the people there didnt and when I told them his age they didnt believe me. :D

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

thrownchain

Mick, the races I have watched there use at least a small part of the MX track. The start line is the same for both. Even the Vintage MX uses the same start line, although the MX track for Vintage is on top of the hill. I'll see you racers there.

Larry Perkins

The CC is on a Jeep park and the MX at a different location.  Two different locations.

Larry P

chicagojerry

hi mick. i'll know more tomorrow when i get there as to what property they have that i can utilize. two years ago we did not use much of the nat'l modern track in the cc race but some of the grass track. still don't know if they have procured the adjoining property. the owner is extremely hard to get a hold of but i know that he will be there tomorrow. looking forward to seeing what the other jeep property in ohio has to offer but i have a feeling that it will be an excellent opportunity for a great course. i guess that i'll have a busy few weeks leading up to these two races. some of my local penton buddies are pretty pumped too and i'll be trying to get some vintage pentons ready to race in addition to working on the courses.  keeps me out of trouble...  chi jer

willstoner

Quotequote:Originally posted by chicagojerry

good news for once from ahrma. george singler will be hosting an ahrma nat'l at smith road raceway in medina oh the weekend before vmd. also, in windham ohio there will be a replacement CC race and trials the friday july 17th. i will be doing the course layout with my partner in crime from last year, jim kuhns. also, we are leaving tomorrow morning to go layout the course for broome tioga which is in three weeks. make plans to race. the ohio events will have better courses than have been offered in years past at mid-ohio. thats a guarantee!  get your entries in early.    chi jer

willstoner

I thought I'd give you a heads up on the two facilities:

Smith Road Raceway is one of the longest continuously-running MX tracks in North America, holding motocross races since 1971. The track also ran TT scrambles events for several years prior to 1971. The natural terrain course is virtually the same as in the seventies, with the exception of a state-of the art irrigation system and track maintenance system. The park-like pit area features several pressure washers and a fishing pond.

Jeep Skool, the brain-child of Kelly Haylet is a 1500 acre former Pittsburgh Plate Glass sand quarry, specializes in off-road training schools 4WD vehicles, ATVs, motorcycles and law enforcement officials. Terrain varies from deep sand to single track woods trails to sandstone rock faces. Facilities include a camping area with electric hook ups, picnic pavilion and a soon-to be-completed bath house. http://www.jeepskool.com/

I am a long time AHRMA and this will be the first time I will be able to volunteer at an AHRMA event.

Will

metalkfab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw0hzdkPiE8  This is a video of Smith Road Raceway from 5/20/2009.

VICTOR MONZ

Cool Video !  I am reliving many races at Singlar's as I write.  We rode many winter harescrambles there, one that sticks in my mind was on my 100 Berkshire and it was a 3 hour team race in the mud, ice and snow. The kind of ride that your hands are froze in the grip position for days and you have to push the bike through 3-4 of mud.  Going through water where the pipe blurbles from being underwater.  I hate to knock on my So Cal friends, but they get all fussy when a few rain drops come and it dips below 50 degrees !  Wonder why the Penton Team alway did so well in adverse conditions, the region bread good stock.

I also had one of the most tragic rides there, I was in 1st place with a full line in about 1974 and as I cleared the long uphill a spectator, young fellow, crossed my path and I hit him with the undercarriage of my Penton as I was in the air, Jack Horinek, just behind me also ran him over.  The young fellow was seriously injuried and suffered near fatal paralysis afterword.

I have ever since been leary of jumps....thank God we both survived.

Anyone else have any Smith Road Raceway stories ?

Victor

jeff greenberg

Victor,  Wow! Smith Road was like a home track for me as I lived in Toledo. We had to be at many of the same races together. I started racing there in 73' on my Berkshire. Jon Leak was my best buddy then.  I raced many a PRO class there also 74-77.  If I remember correctly the PRO class was for "any" size bike. I have not seen George in years. I loved that track because George changed it around for every race. Even ran it backwards sometimes. The start was either a left hand turn and down the front straight in front of the start line.... or way down to a right hander. Geez, I think they had showers there too??  Anyway, I remember you from back in the day!  Great memories for sure.
Jeff