I have 2 wheel bearing questions

Started by Steve Minor, January 11, 2002, 08:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

2 wheel bearing questions on my 77 400 GS6:

(1) To remove the rear wheel bearings, I've removed one outside snap ring on the hub. The manual says drive the bearing out from the other side....but a picture shows another interior snap ring....How do I do this?

(2) The manual says the wheel bearings are sealed and cannot be repacked....How can I tell if they are bad or not?

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

I would need to look at manual again to be sure but I think manual is right just look at pictures close also.  As far as is it bad or not I can help on that part.  When the wheel is on if it spins freely and has no feelable side to side play in wheel they are fine.  With wheel off yoy can feel how well they turn or not using your index finger in the hole.  That sounds worse than meant.  Hope that is some help.

Steve Minor

Thanks Larry......I'll check them out this weekend....

Steve Minor

Richard Beck

To remove the wheel bearings use a long punch (a common screwdriver will work) to reach through the opposite bearing and find the small ledge that the junction of the bearing's outer race and interior spacer makes. With a hammer strike the punch around the outer race of the bearing. Continue driving the bearing out untill it drops out. After one bearing is removed the interior spacer will fall out and the other bearing can be removed by the same method or by removing the interior cir-clips and driving the bearing out by punching the outer race. Any bearing removed by hitting the inner race should be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Heinz Raidel

HEAT THE HUB AREA AROUND THE BEARING.
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

john durrill

Steve,
Hit the bearing from opposite sides ( 12 o'clock then 6 o'clock ) with about the same amount of force each time. that way the bearing will walk out fairly straight.  And for sure heat the hub like Heinz says.

Steve Minor

Once again, the combined knowledge from POG-ville rescued me. Thanks guys!

Steve Minor