What have I got?...Please help.....

Started by Jim Clayton, February 28, 2013, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian_goold

400 motor marked with "R98" that mike was talking about. obiously "R98" is later than the 250 mention here as it is a '76 400 motor.

LHS marking

RHS marking

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101
http://www.ozktm.com

'73 175 Rebuilt.
'74 400 Now Racing!
'78 250 running soon!
'81 250 Now Racing!
'81 495 Engine Work stage.
'84 125 Now racing!
'07 300
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

adrian_goold

We seemed to have received alot of bitsa bikes downunder over the years from KTM. Some bikes we have seen have been parts from the last models and newer models mixed.
Another scenario is that the front half on the bike may have been built and used at a later date grafted to the later back end, then sent on downunder! The rest is obviously modified over time.

Also check this photo out below, this is an ignition cover that came on my original australian delivered 74.5 KTM 400. It looks to be identical to yours ! (currently on my 250!)

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101
http://www.ozktm.com

'73 175 Rebuilt.
'74 400 Now Racing!
'78 250 running soon!
'81 250 Now Racing!
'81 495 Engine Work stage.
'84 125 Now racing!
'07 300
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by Jim Clayton

Bob, of course...I should have thought of posting this pic before....

Jim,
Okay, well that rules out that thought. It looks 'factory' to me. [?]

Adrian, Your restoration is perfection. Finest in the southern hemisphere.

Bob

Jim Clayton

Bob, you took the words right from my mouth.....Adrian, thats a beautiful bike you have there.
   Your ignition cover sure is identical to mine in all but one minor aspect.. the slot for the ignition wires is at the front. The wires exit here, and run up the front right frame tube. Only a minor thing..  It seems the "R XX" stampings on the crankcase halves aren't all that uncommon. The lack of an engine number, and the black paint, could easily be attributable to the crankcase halves having been replaced at some point. As for the frame...I believe you may well be right. With no sign of grafting, I can only assume a) that it came from the factory this way..a mix of two year designs...or b)that at some point someone has grafted two frames together, so well that the welds match those done at the factory. Either way, I'm happy with the result. Other modifications I think have, as you said, been performed by various owners along the way.
  I'll still attempt to chase up some history on this bike, as it does kinda hint at a chequered past. In the meantime, I'm going to strip the bike and give it a good clean up.
  Thanks so much for everyone's help and advice..I'll be sure to post pics of the cleaned up results...and also let you know if I find out anything more concernng its past. If you have any ideas, keep them coming !!
   - Jim