Penton rear shocks

Started by clayman, July 06, 2002, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don howard

Hi Penton riders. Have just installed a pair of Progressive shockson my 71 steel tanker with 13.5 eye to eye works great. I am using the high rate springs works fine.                               don howard

penton117

Hi guys,
A word of caution on shock length. On my 1974 Six-Day I used 13.5" shocks in the forward position on the swingarm, and they worked great. I am currently building a 1972 and I bought the same length shocks for it and here's the problem - I can't use either the center or forward mount because it pushes the swingarm down too far, causing the kickstand mount (which is different on the '72) to hit the brake pedal arm (the one that goes across the bike behind the engine) So any way, you might want to check that clearance problem before buying 13.5" shocks on pre-'74 bikes.

Don

Dwight Rudder

Jeff, I know that the Ohlins are a super shock. and might be actually better for MX than the Works. I believe you also in that you can adjust the Ohlins to match probably anything that Works can deliver .  In my experiance I believe I have only sent a set of Works shocks back for revalving only once. Now this may be due to my ignorance at the time of what was best. But I usually like less compression dampning than most with bottoming resistance. That way the shock responds faster to roots and rocks. I am not as worried about the big jumps.  I may have to try a set of Ohlins one day to see what KB and you rave about.
Cher'o,
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.