WTB Junk Fiberglass Tank

Started by WVDingo, April 06, 2018, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

454MRW

Roberto routinely travels to italy and returns with a shipment of Penton products from there, and always comes to Mid-Ohio. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

KJDonovan

- Larry,  I am not sure if they have the MX and MC-5 tanks.  I wanted a toaster for this project so that's what I ordered.

- Daniel, I will get out to the shop and snap a picture of it and email it to you.

As for ordering, I called Roberto and had him order for me as I do not speak Italian.  Took about a month to come in.  Arrived very well packed in perfect condition.  

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Larry Perkins

All I saw on their website was the toasters so that is why I was not sure. I have nice ones on both Pentons but racing them it could change in a heartbeat.

Larry P

Pat Oshaughnessy

Larry  I have a extra small mx style tank for 73 gold 250cc. I would like to trade for enduro style. If no trade i will buy anew one from Roberto. Let me Know If you want a trade. Call 209 772 2027.Thanks[:p]

Larry Perkins

Love those yellow tanks but have no tanks to trade.  Thank you though!

Larry P

WVDingo

Quotequote:Originally posted by Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by WVDingo

I'm certainly going to be willing to build tanks for people if I get it figured out. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you do get to this project, and you don't mind us looking over your shoulder, I would like to see what the process is like. I don't think I would tackle the project but I'm interested in seeing how it's done. Some one posted on here before about taking problem tanks , cutting them in half at the original seem, then rejoining them. Does that sound like an option for you?  I would like to see that also. I have never really worked with glass before, but I like hard work, I can watch it all day long!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I'll be sharing what I try and how it turns out. I'm pretty good at making mistakes. I haven't messed with fiberglass since college.

WVDingo

I think I am going to make it use a 22mm bung for the petcock. The ones like the original Pentons are near impossible to find (M16x1.0 I believe). The 22mm gives a lot of affordable options for petcocks that will mount straight to, then there are adapters readily available to go to other sizes. I am aiming to make a tank for a rider anyway.

Thoughts?

Larry Perkins

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Larry P

R.T.Fischer

If you want to shape a mold for tank, shape it out of EPS foam block( extruded polystyrene)small bead, & glass with epoxy resin. Do not use polyester resin or it will dissolve as you watch.