WTB Junk Fiberglass Tank

Started by WVDingo, April 06, 2018, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVDingo

I am looking for an unusable tank. I have a 73 Six Days. I want the tank as a form to build a fiberglass mold with. I want to make a duplicate tank to use for running the bike and save my original. I do not want to risk damaging a good, usable original tank.

If successful, would anyone else want one?

thrownchain

I've got one you can have for the cost of shipping. You'll have to do some "tweeking" to get it useable for making a mold.

WVDingo

thrownchain

Best way to contact me is my screen name @yahoo.com

Daniel P. McEntee

Could you not just carve two molds ( a right half and left half) from wood? Measure up a tank and and carve to match dimensions. I would guess that if you could make a good replica of the flat sided enduro tank, you could sell all you could make, especially if you could match the gel coat colors.I have a '73 Harescrambler that has the peanut tank and will have to paint a SixDays tank to get what I want for the bike.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Pat Oshaughnessy

New tanks are for sale from Pillon Dorino in Italy. Just figure out how to do all the B. S. of getting it here.:)

454MRW

Other than through Kip Kern which has a connection to someone close to there. Roberto Pettinato AKA Parmabike on eBay is the main importer of Pillon Dorino's parts into the US. Roberto offers 10% discounts for direct purchases by POG members.

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

WVDingo

I thought about carving out of wood, and that has not been ruled out. But having a tank to use takes a lot of the work out of it. I am actively looking for someone to color match gelcoat; have a lead. I found metal necks and caps that could be used (do not look like originals).  Some boat tanks are fiberglass so I just need to figure out what resin they use. If I'm making a tank, may as well make it resistant to ethanol as well.

WVDingo

I'm certainly going to be willing to build tanks for people if I get it figured out. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

454MRW

Marine fuels are ethanol free I believe. The fiberglass they use may be the same. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

WVDingo

They've started putting ethanol in it. Problematic for the guys with fiberglass tanks. I'm looking there bc I figure that's the first place that may come up with a solution.

KJDonovan

Pat mentioned Pillon Dorino, so I figured I would throw this out there.  Getting tanks from Pillon Dorino is relatively easy.  Find someone who is fluent in Italian and have them order for you.  I got a beautiful gold/yellow one last fall for a Hare Scrambler I am building.  With shipping $320 to my door.  Extremely high quality product, actually better than original. I will still seal the inside with Caswell's dragons blood before putting into service just in case it ever sees ethanol based fuels.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Larry Perkins

Kevin,

Does he have MX and MC5 tanks also?  I have only seen the toaster tanks he has.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by KJDonovan

Pat mentioned Pillon Dorino, so I figured I would throw this out there.  Getting tanks from Pillon Dorino is relatively easy.  Find someone who is fluent in Italian and have them order for you.  I got a beautiful gold/yellow one last fall for a Hare Scrambler I am building.  With shipping $320 to my door.  Extremely high quality product, actually better than original. I will still seal the inside with Caswell's dragons blood before putting into service just in case it ever sees ethanol based fuels.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin;
  IS there any way I could get a photo of what you have and ordering info? I have a '73 with the p-nut mx tank and want the larger enduro tank for it. I've been stalled on that project due to other stuff and getting the tank I want for it may build a fire under me! Post the photo here or email it to me at [email protected].
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by WVDingo

I'm certainly going to be willing to build tanks for people if I get it figured out. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you do get to this project, and you don't mind us looking over your shoulder, I would like to see what the process is like. I don't think I would tackle the project but I'm interested in seeing how it's done. Some one posted on here before about taking problem tanks , cutting them in half at the original seem, then rejoining them. Does that sound like an option for you?  I would like to see that also. I have never really worked with glass before, but I like hard work, I can watch it all day long!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee