To Restore or not to Restore.

Started by STEVEN PAYNE, May 18, 2004, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeBuff

John,
Now that's a nice restoration! Most people don't realize the time, work and money that go's into restoring one of these. Thanks for showing us photos of your progress step by step. You can be proud of this one. [8D]

Lee

marsattacks

That is flipping awesome!   Great job.  JC FTW!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

JCHubbard

Thank you Lee & John.  

Best regards,
John
JC Hubbard

slvrbrdfxr

Looks great JC ! I brought my dads's 71 DKW enduro back to OK with me after VMD last month. I'm currently in the process of installing the 72 model wheel hubs on his bike which use the 6203 ball bearings instead of the old style cup and cone style wheel bearings. Been wanting to do this modification for several years and finally have all the needed parts in hand to accomplish that. The old cup and cone bearings for the early DKW and Sachs bikes are non existent these days and so time for an upgrade.
Dave McCullough

JCHubbard

Thanks Dave.

Good to hear you're resurrecting your Dad's DKW. Very interesting and great upgrade with the wheel hubs.  Definitely tough to find some parts for these bikes.  

There certainly were a few parts that were kind of difficult to find. Perhaps the toughest items for me to find were the front suspension swingarm bearings, and believe it or not -- brake shoes.  

Thank God for Leo Keller - he was able to direct me to some DKW/Herc/Sachs sources in Germany.  Though I'll probably never need it, I bought an extra set of front swingarm bearings and brake shoes.

Look forward to seeing your 71 DKW when it's done too.
JC Hubbard