Little old fashion MX stores

Started by robbersroost1, November 28, 2004, 07:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Tony..Oh I mean Mr. Smith from Iowa,
  The old dealership that I was thinking of was located between Sherman and Dennison on the East side of the Highway.  The guys name was Jack Barnett and originally was a Indian Dealer and then a Honda Dealer well into the 80's.  Surprising since he was almost a one man store.  He had a Flat Track behind his store and was a good racer in his own right.  Great memories.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

desmond197

I just got back from a Mom and Pop Kawasaki dealer whom I have been giving some busines to for the last year. I brought in a Bultaco Alpina wheel to have a new tube put in. When I went to pick it up they told me never to come back that they do not want to deal with old junk. I told them no problem I would never discrace there store with my cash again. I had planned to buy my daughter a Kaasaki KDX50 from them that day. Needles to say I did not get the bike at thier shop. It is amazing how some folks stay in business.

James

Tony, thank you. Les was still working with JR whan I left for my first HFT store in Iowa early 2001. I am glad to hear he is doing well and I owe him lunch. JR and Les made it a point to take me to lunch before I left. Ron, I have heard many of Les stories and they are great. We did a bit of "test riding" on Lancaster years ago and there were several stories about injuries from this. I can tell you that a 90 540 KTM will run away and hide from a 90 cr500-but I can't remember who was crazy enough to run them down the street. I am sure it wasn't me..at least I think.

sorry to hear about that incident with the Kawasaki shop. I bought my daughter a PW50 last year mainly due to the great dealer here in Tucson. This was only after the other dealer had no one on premeises-and everyone was there at he time who could find me a non resistor plug-but they were sure I needed anew cr/kx/rm 250 to put under it.

James

You dont stop racing because you get old..you get old because you have children
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Rain Man

The one shop that comes to mind up here in Maine is Maine Cycle in Auburn. I don't do much business with the Myrics, but there serious off road enthusiast that have rides out of there shop every Wednesday nights in Season. And the best part is they have a fast group and a slow group.[8D]
  They also have a huge salvage warehouse. My favorite is that they will mount the knobbies you buy from them, for free !!
   I don't know all the details, but at one time they considered a KTM franchise, and it never transpired, too bad too, there all riding Hondas and Yamahas now !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

robbersroost1

Since their seems to be no little old fashion MX stores left, I might just have to build one. Maybe old barn look, wood floor, old glass counter, neat old pictures. Who would come, since I don't want to sell anything. A store with out a salesman? Maybe a Dalesman Salesman since I don't have one to sell we could just talk about where you might find one. No computers or phones, just a welcome sign. I got a guy that owes me $'s and won't pay, he has lots of old lumber, maybe just maybe I'll build that store.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible