Little old fashion MX stores

Started by robbersroost1, November 28, 2004, 07:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbersroost1

Are there any of those old fashion sell out of your old barn stores left that made companys like Husky, Penton, Ktm a fun place to buy, or are they all the big time don't know a soul type that seem to be taking over?
After buying 14 new KTM's since 1983, I just bought a Husky, because I found a good old fashion dealer, that takes me back to what it used to be like. Almost all the new KTM dealers are big show room don't know anything type. Bigger is not better.
Be interesting to here about some of those old stores.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Terry,
  I know the feeling about the new stores that really are more concerned about financing your bike and writing life insurance than understanding you have to mix Oil with the Gas???  One such store is new(in building only), but it has the staff that has that cares and are like Family.  The store is located in Amerst Ohio and sells KTM/Honda/Suzuki and is owned by Dale Barris.  Dale started with Penton before he could drive(oh he could race and was good at it).  Dale helped POG get started with the original meetings held at his store and would be what I consider as part of the  founder/pioneers of POG.  If you are looking for a great dealership and someone who cares this is a good place to start.
  Just for you Penton Historians this was the Original Penton Brothers Honda.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

robbersroost1

Ron, Thanks for sharing that great story. This is what is missing in most of the stores today. No History. My favorite store today might be the BMW Dealer in Rock Island IL. Wood floor, old glass counter,and old racing pictures, and an owner who can talk old time racing till you can't take no more. My favorite KTM Dealer is H&H, they are the real thing, they have history just as Penton Brothers Honda has. Looking for more stories, names, and places of these little old MX stores. What did it take back then, and how many bikes did you have to sell to be a dealer. There must be one left somewhere.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Terry,
  Thanks for the heads up on on the Rock Island Dealer.  Also, if anyone is traveling through South Texas I will be happy to give a list of old dealers to stop and see.  Only problem is a lot of the old racers have retired and hence they are just not the places they were.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Terry
Just wondering where you are from?  Smitty's is my favorite shop to visit.  I have bought a couple of BMW's from him and usually get down to his shop once or twice a month.  Where did you buy your Husky at?
Rocket

robbersroost1

Rocket,
       I got my Husky from Hall's Husqvarna in Springfield IL. They are the old time store that places you and racing first, not big show room and number of bikes sold. I've never bought a bike from them, because they don't handle KTM, so I finaly jumped ship to have a good old fashion dealer to work with. I'm from central IL., where about 20 years ago it seemed there was alot of small dealers working out of small building, selling bikes to there friends, and racing on Sunday. They have all but gone now and we are left with the big power dealers, that I will not buy from, or dealers that couldn't fix your bike if there life depended on it, and not to mention a new salesman and mechanic every month, or is it technicion and salesperson.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Terry,
  Where are they located?  I have a trip planned to Springfield in 2005.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Those dealers are not as plentiful because you can hardly be that way anymore and get a dealership.  Not that long ago I looked at what it took to get a KTM dealership and one of the requirements was a 10,000 square foot store.  The cool mom and pop ones are leftovers from when KTM or whoever would take anyone with the $$$ to buy three or four bikes.  Alas that day is gone.

Larry P

desmond197

I agree with you guys. I do not like the new style Steelerships as I call them. I buy all my stuff from Powersports in Hilliard FL. Tony is a great guy and always out at the races with his booth. I went in to a new dealership to buy some new race gear while back and got no help or service what so ever. This lack of customer service has kept me from buying a new bike every year. The last modern bike I got was a VOR enduro I bought off Ebay. I liked the old days growing up in PA when you could test drive a bike out on the back lot or take it out on the street. I remember testing an OSSA Desert Phantom blasting areoun the MX track the guy has then taking it out on the street. What a great bike. Does any one remember GKR in Spring City PA they sold Husky and Penton in the 60's and 70's. Steves Cycles which sold CZ in Pottstown PA in the early 70's. They sponsored a young Tony Destefano.

chicagojerry

i have to second the opinion about dale barris' "on the edge" honda/suzuki/ktm. despite the fact that they are certainly a modern and well equipped shop they have great history and are very knowledgeable and helpful.i've been around a lot of shops over the years and his is at the top of the heap. i could not have done as well in the ahrma stuff this year without their assistance. thanks dale for everything, i'm proud to list your place as my sponsor.
"chicago" jerry

Tennessee Vol

Ron - Larry - Desmond
 I have a decent old hole in the wall dealer story.Here it is maybe it makes some sense.

I love the old pentons and all model and years of KTM's.But my friend [who I had a post about all of his bikes being stolen].Was a KTM dealer from 1980-1994.This is when KTM decided to clean out all of it's mom and pop small operations because they only sold 3-4 bikes a year and only a few thousand dollard of parts.It did not matter to him what was going on he would help you out he would rob a part off any bike to get you going for the next race or call up someone close to see if they had a part.He would do everything possible to get you back going.He would rebuild anything on your bike it did not matter he would build a complete engine in one night or if he didn't get it done he would pull his on engine out of one of his bikes and put it in your bike.And he would never charge a dime for labor.He has forgot more about bike than I will ever know.They just don't make many people like that anymore.

The deal is.It really did not matter to KTM that they hung with them through all the crappy years just when things started picking up they dumped them.They dumped him so I dumped KTM and so did several other people.This has I know cost KTM very many new bike sales and parts over the last 10 years.So in 1995 I bought my first Suzuki RMX 250 and have never considered buying a new KTM since.I now have a KX 250 and still do all my business with this old dealer and you can get anything you need in the aftermarket these days.

This could be the trick for all you guys find you a dealer that just deals in used bikes and aftermarket parts they are a lot of these guys around.And leave all these high zoot places out and support the little guys.

Desmond you can thank all the insurance companies for the end of most all demo rides.I am now off my soapbox now.

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

robbersroost1

Ron,  
    Hall's is easy to find just let me know when your coming, maybe someway you could drive by my place and check out my Pentons and even do some riding, or just sit and admire the Pentons, because those are just for looking.
    Keep the old time MX shop stories coming. This is just to much fun. Does anyone have a count and name of all the old Penton Stores, and what you had to do to be one?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

jhardin

Terry,
Hall's is a great place.  Jay does a wonderful job, plenty of parts always in stock and a very knowledgable and super staff.  They have been around for a long time.  Where are you located?  I am in Canton, and am always looking to meet new friends with Penton's.  

John Hardin

john hardin
john hardin

Gavin Housh

Terry, I live in Califonia and Hall's is where I order my Husky parts from. They have always been able to come through and find the parts I've needed, even if they had to back order them. I'd like to see the store some day, but I can't imagine when I'll be in Illinois again. I rode my bike through that state this summer and corn and soybeans all look the same after six states. G man. p.s. My local Husky dealer could care less if I even exist. When I needed parts for my 86 400 he just told me to forget about it.

firstturn

Terry,
  I have a list that was sent to me by Penton so that I could get parts back when I was traveling/racing.  I will try at some point( have time ) to go over some of the stories that I remember on how some dealers became Penton Dealers.  The real source for some of the best stories would be Doug Wilford.
  What a great subject and yes I would like to visit when I go to Springfield.  I met the daughter of the old Indian dealer back a few years ago and this LADY had some wonderful stories.  You know that most people think the capital of Illinois is Chicago....Springfield is a great town with tons of history...nice place to go for a mile race.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh