1974, 1975 penton 250 enduro I might be buying

Started by gthong, January 25, 2006, 11:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gthong

thank you mac..  .. that's the advice I'm looking for..

as excited as I am about getting one of these... it's the DEAL that excites me about almost any toy purchase, be it a boat, car, bike, snowmobile, etc

I'm told the asking price is 1000.00 for this bike.. I have not discussed it with the owner... just said I'd come and look..

my thoughts are: grab a stack of hundreds, go look at it, If I would'nt pay 1000.00... I probably would'nt make any offer at all... cause I want a nice one.  and I won't want to pay 1000.00 if it isn't worth 1400-1700.00.

This is so much fun!!!! it's great when the difference between a great deal... and getting screwed.. is only 400.00!!!  with a Harley.. the difference is 4000.00!!!   a bigger pucker factor!!

thanks to all

Big Mac

Greg,

It's great to hear from an enthusiast that he got a great deal on a bike. But just about everyone out there, you'll find, cringes when they hear about someone more interested in the deal than the the bike, or from someone who seems to be interested in vintage bikes primarily to buy low, sell high. We're all buyers at times and sellers at other times, and it's inevitable that we'll cross paths again soon with the guy who we last made a deal with again and again.

The old dirt bike community is one of the last bastions of fair-dealing by about 98% of the guys out there--believe it or not, most take pride in paying a fair price based on circumstances, and not gouging the unsuspecting buyer when we do sell a bike.

Nationally, the group is really pretty small and reputations mean a lot. Announcing a strategy to "steal a deal" is a quick way to alienate the network of really good guys who freely share info, advice, parts and hot tips on barn-fresh opportunities. Just a tip.

Good luck on your search and enjoy being a Penton owner!
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

gthong

Point well taken.. thank you.

I did consider how that would be taken when I wrote it, but threw it out there anyway.

I have bought and sold a lot of toys in my life (and they are MY toys, I;m not in this business.. boats, cars, bikes, etc....

I find that in almost EVERY case... the deal is made on the BUY.. RARELY the "SELL" because almost everyone is just like you guys.. totally into the subject and knows what they are worth.

Like I said.. much fun is in the "hunt"... as NOBODY is going to pay more than it's worth.

I apoligize if I came on too strong.. it was not my intention.  And yes.. I know I will run into you guys at vintage days, etc..

greg

VICTOR MONZ

When I look at a bike I want or can use for a project and shipping comes up...$300-$500, that's easy ForwardAir, I look at is as a $1.00/day for a year....come on I spend that on my morning coffee!

If you want it , buy it!  It's not like we are dealing in "rare south african diamonds".

Victor Monz

PS>  I got a couple West Coast bikes for sale, so don't fret over freight costs....remember  $1.00/day !