1974, 1975 penton 250 enduro I might be buying

Started by gthong, January 25, 2006, 11:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gthong

Hello to everyone.. My name is greg and I'm from southeast Michigan.

I got a bunch of bikes from a Harley V rod to a beautiful 1982 Honda CBX to a KTM 520 EXC.  

In the seventies I owned a 1976 Penton 250 exc, a 1977 penton 400 exc and a 1978 Penton 400 mxc, converted for enduro work. with a lectron.  after 1978.. I got out of all bikes until 2001. Then I got back into it big time..and now have 7 bikes... only about 3 of which I need!!

Anyway... I have a chance to get a what is described by a very good friend (who sold the bike to the current owner) as a VERY, VERY nice, complete, running, nice, not hacked up, cool.. 250penton enduro, either a 1974 or 1975 red tank.

I ONLY have intrest in this bike if it is really nice.  Is one year better the the other as far as resale value, speed of resale, # of people wanting the bike, etc.  This is one of those deals where you say"oh jeez, I've always wanted one of those sitting in my garage".. I doubt I'd every really ride it.

I know this is a loaded question with a million answers but, in real dollars.. what do you feel it's worth??   I'm a real "hard dollars" guy as opposed to "if it makes you happy... it's worth more than anyone will pay you for it".   with that said.. what would YOU pay for it?

thank you to all.

as you can tell.. I've asked this question on the v rod website, venture site, CBX site , cb350 wedsite, xs750 website, etc about those bikes... and I always get the "does it make you happy" analogy!

A bike only makes me happy if it cost me nothing to own!!  Except maybe that CBX!!!

thank you again

gthong

It's me again.. If I decided to ride this bike.. what kind of events are available.. vintage enduro??  vintage MX?

thanks

greg

gthong

12 views in 10 min. with no thoughts???

hey.. If I don't buy the bike... I'll post it here for the seller to help him move it..

He's not a current member..

rob w

Greg,

Oh don't count the views..........many readers, few writers.

I'm in Michigan, I/we trail ride, race AHRMA MX & Cross Country, also there is a vintage class in some MI. enduros.

If you're just now starting the vintage thing, you won't believe how much fun you'll have, especially if you were a Penton rider/racer in the past.  

I'll post this and then come back again........

rob w

Greg,

Between those two bikes, the one that's worth the most is the one that is in the best original, and most complete original conditon.

Bob Wardlow

gthong

I guess I was a little vague... there's only one bike.. I just don't know if it's a 74 or 75.

Is this an 800.00 bike... or a 1500.00 bike.. or more.. or less

thanks

rob w

If it's running, not needing anything, and in good condition. $1500 would be a fair price for you to pay. But less is good too.

rob w

Greg, Can you send me 1 or 2 pictures of it, I could tell you alot more....?

Bob

454MRW

I have a very early 74 red tank 250 Hare Scrambler which is in pieces, but I wouldn't part for it for any price. I plan on rebuilding it to its former glory! The early 74 has one position only virtually straight up and down shocks, whereas the later 74 and 75 have multi position shock placements with 2 top shock mounting points that allows for a laid down shock position. The frame stamping on the headstock will tell you the year and month of production starting with 54 for 250 engine and then the year and usually a 2 digit month of production followed by the actual serial #. The homepage tells more about engine and frame identification as well as differences between years. The late 74 and 75 are slightly more desireable for vintage racing because of the better rear suspension, but 1974 is the second year of the Penton 250 and less were made with the upright rear shock placement. If I had the extra cash and could buy either in good running condition for $ 800.00 I wouldn't hesitate, but a littel more scrutiny would be required to spend $ 1,500.00 Pentons are made to be ridden, so I hope this helps and good luck!

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

rob w

To determine the model year, get the frame number located on the head tube / steer tube between the upper fork tubes.

It'll have a 54 and then 8 more numbers.

In those 8 numbers, the first number is the year, and the next two numbers are the month.

example - 54 411xxxxx  411 = Nov. 74

example - 54 504xxxx   504 = April 75

The style of Ceriani forks it has may determine whether the bike could be ridden/ raced stock in the "Vintage Sportsman" class, or the "Post Vintage" class.
ALTHOUGH even the '75 model with the 200mm forks can pretty easily be set up to run in the "Vintage Sportsman" class.

Bob

rob w

Hi Michael,

Greg, I'll send you my email addr. & ph. # tomorrow.

Okay, signing off, have a good today!

fasmith

GeeThong..  GeeThong?.. well that brings a vison.. but.
sorry to not answer.. I read and was about to reply and then I figured I might better be quiet.. as I tend to ramble.. but..  I would have to say for me... I would pay a lot of money .. that is depending on condition.. put it this way..I paid 800 for a 1977 GS6 off of Ebay .. only pictures.. and I came out way ahead. The bike was pristine, and was original and now I would not sell it for any price.. seriously.  even if could triple or double triple my money.  So basically me.. since I am in love with these old bikes I learned to ride on in the woods .. they are worth their weight in gold.  Depending on orginal condition of the bike.. 1500 dollars, or even higher.. could be less..  less is good.  But you are looking at a piece of history. That bike represents a slice of time in history which cannot be replaced.

Ok. I babbled enough and made a big fool of myself.

Freddie

gthong

thanks for your thoughts freddie.. you're not rambling..

I enjoy hearing your thoughts

as I said.. Penton's were my first real HIGH END bikes.  Back in the Mid 70's here in michigan.. if you had a Penton/ktm or a husky... you rocked!!!!!big time... and everyone knew you.. heck now.. EVERYONE has the latest KTM 4 strokes and no one even looks up!!!

I have the very fondest memories of this very great time in my life, when we had plenty of time to ride and rode like idiots on bikes the older guys with kids could't afford!!!

Big Mac

Greg -to get to the heart of your debate, a '74 250 is probably worth a little bit more than a '75, simply because the '75 had longer-travel Ceriani forks which aren't AHRMA legal for the "Vintage" class, and a '75 isn't that competitive in the Historic class ('75-'77 machines) against longer travel bikes...probably more re-sell demand for the '74. For anyone not selling, or riding non-AHRMA events, or anyone willing to swap in the shorter-travel pre-'75 Ceriani's, it makes little difference if it's a '74 or '75.

If it runs, not held together by rust and bailing wire, and is all there, AND seeing as how you don't have to pay to have it shipped, it's worth all of $800, doubt you'd find anything cheaper. On top of that, if it actually starts easy/runs strong, is nice and clean, looks like low hours, has a title, and you know the original owner, I wouldn't hesistate at $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's a '74 and has near-new tires and race-ready..I've paid that and never regretted it.

Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR