Be Careful on the Street

Started by desmond197, April 28, 2006, 10:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasmith

I might owe all an apology with regard to my previous post of "they can pry" statement.  Given the serious nature of this topic, Desmond, I apologize.  Obvisouly, you are quite shaken to have witnessed a fatal accident and anytime a motorcyclist is injured on the street or the track, I too feel the pains of "should I quit riding?"  I have always gotten back on the bike.  A friend and I were riding in the woods one fine sunny day - I highsided at speed in a very ugly way and my friend whom was behind me (and not because I was faster, he was a "A" enduro rider and very fast local pro motocrosser) was so shaken by the way my leg splintered and the resulting surgery that he hung up his leathers and walked away from racing and riding motorcycles completely.  The thought of quitting myself never crossed my mind even though a year after the accident, I still had to have someone crank the bike for me to go riding.  I could only hope if I stalled the bike it was on a hill of some sort.

I ride to work every day and average 250 miles a week on my street bikes. I have switched completely to the XR650 for the ride to work instead of the Harley to improve my chances of avoiding an accident.  

It is dangerous out there with the cagers and I ride as if every cager is one that has my name on his bumper.  

But I do love motorcyles and that is the one thing I will not ever give up.

Freddie

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by behindbars

Seems to me that any law that is supposed to protect you from yourself is just plain old stupid. Think of how arrogant one must be to come to the conclusion that they are so much wiser than you that you must not be allowed to have a choice. They MUST make the decision for you. I've never understood people like this. Some folks just can't mind their own business.:(

The problem is that there are just too many dumb people out there that won't wear a helmet.  I also don't want to have to pay their medical bills for the rest of their veggitative  life.   It only makes since to take some minimal precautions.  There is no law that says that an airplane pilot or passenger has to wear a seat belt.  There are Airline rules but actually no law.  BUT many years ago pilots found out that if they didn't wear a seat belt that they tended to fall out.
So nobody complains about airplane seat belts.  People went for too many years without seat belts in cars so now we have to fight with them to strap themselves in.   I don't think motorcyclists have a death wish and those who think wear helmets.  But there are those idiots who think they are invincable and refuse to wear a simple protective device.  Nobody says you have to wear a full face .  You can wear a 3/4 open face, or a half-shell.  Of course the more helmet the better.  It is sad that helmet laws are nessesary but they are just because there are those who don't believe they are going to be statistic.  
Sad, IMO
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

rfpotter

Good discussion on a very sensitive topic.

I do not believe in expanding government, and I have concerns about how it handles things, but if it wants to get involved, I wish it would get all the uninsured, unlicensed, incapacitated, and unsafe vehicles and drivers (of all vehicles) off the road. I think this follows with Desmond's first post. Where I am (Tennessee) everyday I see articles about Habitual Offenders killing innocent people, the infamous cell phone head-on, and the always popular, sixteen year old driving the new BMW into the trees stories. All human activies have some risk, and it should be up to the person to decide what risks they want to assume, but I wish more were done to make sure drivers were qualified to drive what they are driving (if drive at all), and the vehicles they are driving are safe. If it means a more involved government to achieve this, then I am for it.

Patrick Houston

Danny Metz

Desmond,  I appreciate your reply to me in my post about putting my KTM 400 on the street.  Believe me, I understand your reluctance to get back on the road on a 2 wheeler.  About 10 years ago, I witnessed a collision where a minivan pulled out in front of a 600cc Honda doing about 55 mph.  The rider T-boned the van.  He was wearing a helmet, but when his face impacted the side of the van his helmet went about 50 feet in the air.  I was the first one to get to him, and it was not a pretty sight.  His body was twisted like a pretzel.  He was bleeding and went into convulsions.  I tried my best to comfort him, but all I could do was wait for the ambulance and talk to him.  It was an event I will NEVER forget.  FWIW, the rider lived, but will never be the same.  I put off ordering my new Harley for a few years after.  I finally did get the new bike, and I use that event every time I ride.  Like someone else said, I ride like everyone is out to kill me.  I would never give up my street riding because it gives me so much, but always remember the possible consequences.  I suggest you take some time to consider your choices.  Don't do anything rash.  Just because a bike has a tag on it does not mean you have to  ride it.  The way I look at it, when my time is up, it doesn't matter whether I am skydiving or sleeping . ..  Good luck!

Danny

Danny Metz

Desmond,  I appreciate your reply to me in my post about putting my KTM 400 on the street.  Believe me, I understand your reluctance to get back on the road on a 2 wheeler.  About 10 years ago, I witnessed a collision where a minivan pulled out in front of a 600cc Honda doing about 55 mph.  The rider T-boned the van.  He was wearing a helmet, but when his face impacted the side of the van his helmet went about 50 feet in the air.  I was the first one to get to him, and it was not a pretty sight.  His body was twisted like a pretzel.  He was bleeding and went into convulsions.  I tried my best to comfort him, but all I could do was wait for the ambulance and talk to him.  It was an event I will NEVER forget.  FWIW, the rider lived, but will never be the same.  I put off ordering my new Harley for a few years after.  I finally did get the new bike, and I use that event every time I ride.  Like someone else said, I ride like everyone is out to kill me.  I would never give up my street riding because it gives me so much, but always remember the possible consequences.  I suggest you take some time to consider your choices.  Don't do anything rash.  Just because a bike has a tag on it does not mean you have to  ride it.  The way I look at it, when my time is up, it doesn't matter whether I am skydiving or sleeping . ..  Good luck!

Danny

Glenn Berry

Last summer six of us went on a poker run,it was a chilly and windy day. We were only about 5 miles into the ride when a tree came down on the second, third and fourth riders in our group. Some guys were cutting down a tree and lost it in the wind.The first rider amde it through and my bother and I got stopped in time but the 3 riders in the middle never had a chance. Two of the three guys were sent to shock-thama by chopper. Thank God all of us were wearing helmets and leather jackets. I am only posting this to show you never know what is around the next turn. It was about 6 weeks befor I really injoyed myself on my road bike again. My advice would be to wait awhile after a tragic accident before making a decission about selling a bike,and giving up something you injoy. I am sure most of us have seen or been in some nasty accidents on woods bikes but are still involved with somnething we truely injoy.  Ride Safe, Glenn    I am happy to say all 3 of the guys that went down are back on the road again.

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

desmond197

It is all about risk assement. I love bikes but I realy am not into riding on the street any more. I was always so so about it. Lately always seemed to stress me out rather than relax me. Did I say that I like to drive fast? Going flat out on the track or in the woods for me with limited risk and proper back up I can enjoy myself. ( Helicopter and ambulance at the track). Having kid changes the equation as well.

I repectfully dissagree with my fellow friends here I think helmet laws should be manditory. I live near FL and travel to PA and I see more riders not wearing helmets and proper gear than wearing them. After the accident I counted 20 bikes and only 2 were wearing thier helmets.