Shot in the Dark.......

Started by firstturn, March 08, 2006, 08:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdazed

Ron, Thanks for the visit/bench racing session/pizza party/Tucson chapter POG meeting.Hope to see ya on the return trip!....Ric,Mert,Malcolm....P.S.- The dogs dug Uncle Ron

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Ric,
  I like the sound of the Tucson Chapter.  Maybe we can do in Tucson and then in Kerrville Texas.  Thanks for sharing your shop and your Home for our first meeting.  It is always fun when we can see that many pentons at one house...and in the backyard.  I wish most children today were as well behaved as you wonderful Dogs.  I should be back in Tucson this weekend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Ron,You haven't seen their darker side yet-but for the most part they are pretty good pups.Catch ya on the rebound,Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

bentrims

Big Daddy RC,
Very cool pic on the cart....thanks for that it really made me smile!

I got 2 words for you: Roll bar
Tom B

Thanks again for taking time out of your vacation to the northland to join my family for dinner. My wife was so inspired talking to Chris!
TB

firstturn

Tom,
  It was an honor to have Dinner with you and the family.  Hopefully you can bring them to Texas for me to return the favor.  Go karts are in my past and future.  I have 4 now and have bout 20 engines in various state of repair.  Do you drive??  Later my Friend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rpage11

Well I don't know about the rest of you but when Ron said he'd be glad to drive my bike 800 miles to me because there was a go-cart enthusiast right out side of Tucson that he wanted to see, it got my attention.   I was seeing a lot of e-bay items with Ron's address attached and I was a little concerned.  I just want to let any interested parties know that when we got done with the go-carts, Ron asked if he could leave a few things at my house and he'd be back in a few days.

Well 'ol Ron drove another 1000 miles to see Victor and pick up a 250 Penton for his private collection.  Ric and I had the brief opportunity to sit and chat with Mr. Carbaugh and Ric will attest that this man has Penton in his blood.  One is a hobby and the other is a part of his life.

On other note, I have seen 3 of Victor's bikes.  He showed me a 72 -125  2 years ago and I wanted to hold out for a steel tanker, but it was very temping.  Then his 175 that came up when he got sick, it's next months calendar bike.  That is one sweet Jackpiner.  The 250 that Ron picked up from you, I got to see in person.  It was stunning.  You the man, Victor.

Skip    
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

firstturn

Skip,
  Thanks for the kind words.  It was great to finally meet both you and Ric in person.  The Penton Owner's Group is responsible for putting so many good people in touch with each other and, in my opinion, making people Friends for life.  It was such a great time to have our first Tucson/Texas Chapter Meet at Ric's house.  Of course Mert and Malcolm were the fun part of the meeting.  It was great to see all the bikes and parts that Ric has and to discuss future projects.

Just a side note; I brought the Steeltanker to Skip and the builder(Lawrence) didn't have time to do the wiring on the lights due to my travel schedule.  Skip proved to be wiz on wiring and I really liked how he hid the horn inside the headlight....neat installtion.  Skip is not at all hesitant to jump on a motorcycle project.  Also Skip grew up in Amherst Ohio so his desire to own Pentons goes back to the days of going to school with Jack Penton and Dale Barris....neat History.

Having traveled all my life I have always felt that when one visits a new city or town you leave with a good or bad opinion based on the people that you interacted with in that town.  I am here to tell you Tucson is one of my best visits/vacation I have ever had.

Thanks Ric, Skip, Sue, Bob and Nancy....and Mert & Malcolm.  

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

Ron,It was a joy to have you out here.The pups loved "Uncle Ron".The only problem ,as with most visits,it was too short.Your new 250 is a beauty-almost as nice as "Roger",the Monark and "Edsel",the Tyran.I didn't have enough time to pick your brain for Penton related stuff.How about coming out to the AHRMA 07 opener in Feb. at Speedworld?I'll be coming off the bench to jump into the + 50 class for the first time.Haven't raced since vegas-reno 02 (on a KTM,of course) so i hope i don't embarrass the Penton name.Training starts aaaaahhhhhhh....next week.Sounds like a good excuse for a visit to me.Hope to see ya soon!...............Ric + the gang........

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

CharlieT

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Tom,
  It was an honor to have Dinner with you and the family.  Hopefully you can bring them to Texas for me to return the favor.  Go karts are in my past and future.  I have 4 now and have bout 20 engines in various state of repair.  Do you drive??  Later my Friend.

Ron Carbaugh

Just hi-jacking the thread here!!  Hey Ron what kind of karts you into? was around them in the '60's and then again for the last 16-17yrs. Stopped racing myself in the early '90's, just crew for my son. This is him a Grattan in one of our karts:

Has a CR250 on it in that pic. Have also run the same chassis with a CRF450 and currently have a TZ250 I'm working on getting mounted up.

firstturn

Charlie,
  I am just putting together some engines since they are the backbone of any Kart Program.  I have 20 engines now of which 11 are either new or built from New Old Stock Parts...mostly McCulluch.  I am looking for a Cates,Moss or Exterminator for my wall hanger.  I am building up one or two MarGays to have to test engines...easy to set the carburetors.  Nice picture of your Son.  Thanks for the Hi Jack and let me know if you get any leads or need ay penton help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

CharlieT

Ron. have you checked out this site yet:

http://www.vintagekarts.com/

Another possibility is try posting in the general forum on this site:

//www.ekartingnews.com

Predominately a current karting site, but a lot of old timers, er, I mean Expereinced karters are still around. Had a Dart A-bone, but sold it last year. ALso sold off my last West Bend 820, too. Nothing too much vintage left here, I'm afraid.

firstturn

Thanks.  I just bought two new 820's (left and right drive).  I will watch those sites a little closer.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh