Shocks for "72" 6- Day

Started by cubfan1968, March 19, 2005, 05:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

I'm ordering the Red Wings. Big THANKS for the posts. Final question: will I be fine with the 340mm (13.25")length shocks, or should I try to get a 330 (13")? I'm thinking the that the 340's may sharpen up the turn-in a bit (decrease front end rake).

bildough

ive used the standard size that came on the pentons. i dont have my bikes near so i cant measure which they were. i once put longer ones on and it was not the trick. I went back to the standard size.
If you go to our website http://www.pelicanguanomotorsports.com/ you can see good pictures of Progressives on the Mettco, works on the D model, the original girlings on the stock six day. On the husky 125 i have shown redwings and Ohlins.
On the website, I think you can see a good assortment of rear suspension on various 125s even Koni and a set of curnutt on one of the Tyrans

Bill cappel

Ernie Phillips

tooclose,  FWIW - I am using 13-3/4" on my '72 Berkshire & Christopher is using 13-7/8" on his '72 Six-Day (Works).  We wanted to accomplish two things: 1.  quicken steering  2. open up seat to foot peg distance.  We are both +6' and long legged.  With short shocks the cockpit is too cramped.  A tall seat helps too. I usually run a 60th rear sprocket so the chain rubbing the swingarm is not a problem but with 54th rear, you will get some contact.  We added chain sliders to the top of the swingarm for protection.  These small bore Penton front ends stick like magic and I believe the longer shocks are the way to go for serious riding.

A few months ago I would have said that installing the Works shocks was the single best improvment to our bikes.  When you only have 4" travel, it needs to be the best you can get/afford.  But, if you can't finish (dead motoplat) then what good is a fine handling bike.  So #1 for me is PVL ignition, #2 is primo shocks, #3 ??

Good luck with the Redwings.  As you can tell, we are very pleased with our Works shocks and their tech support is fantastic.  I'd like to try both Redwings & Olins someday just to see what I'm missing ... or not.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN