Shocks for "72" 6- Day

Started by cubfan1968, March 19, 2005, 05:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

What would the group recommend for new rear shocks for my 6 Day. I'm looking for something in a quality enduro rated shock. The existing shocks are shot and killing my back. Please help. Thanks

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Steve Minor

Can't go wrong with Works shocks, but they aren't cheap........
Steve Minor

cubfan1968

Probably not going to compete at this time (27 year layoff doesn't help) but I want something respectable that will handle a pounding.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Lew Mayer

Everybody has their preferences,Works,Performance,Falcon, Ohlins. Pick your poison. I believe they all will set them up for your weight, bike and level of ability.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

DKWRACER

Hi Rod, Omars dirt racing products has some reasonable Red Wings for under 150.00 a pair,,,,Tom....
Thomas Brosius

cubfan1968

Thanks for all the help guys. I went with some Progressive Vintage shocks 13" length purchased from CR High Performance in California. Wanted to buy from our local guy here in Omaha but he told me 2 months for delivery, CR was 4 days. Appreciate the help. :)

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

tooclose racing

Love this search feature....I may be buying some "less" expensive shocks for MY '72 Six Day, and was wondering if anybody has experience with these Red Wing shocks?  They are on eBay, seem affordable, and I believe they are set up for bike and rider weight (I've sent a question to the store).  Would the alloy body reservoir still be okay in AHRMA classic?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Aluminum-Vintage-shocks-340mm-Dirt-track-MX-Street_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ017QQitemZ270200692833

paul

Hey, I cant say from experience but the rules say no seperate reservoir so I am running my zooks the have the attached res. and came factory (I think) in 74. Please let us know how the Redwings work or maybe some here has tried them? I got lucky and found a brand new set of boge mullholand shocks for my 72 6 Day and used my stock springs. I just rode her for an hour out in the woods and the rear works way better than the front. Unfortunately the man sold out of those quick. Owning several bikes I am not one to spend three to six hundred for a set of shocks. If I was a Pro Moto dude that may be different. Hollar back on what you use on your scoot as I still need a set for my Montesa. Thanks,TTP

Rain Man

So Rod can you divulge the damages ?? Im in the market for a set of Progressives shocks too.  I have Assult shocks now on 2 of my CMF bikes and I like them alot  I purchased them from Jake Fischer 2 years ago and they were around 165 a pair.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

cubfan1968

The cost with shipping $270.00. I got them from CR High Performance (760)451-0056. For me they work pretty good, but keep in mind I don't compete.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Jim A

There is a set of new gas Progressive shocks on Ebay in the store section of vintage shocks, 12 1/2 length, $185. I've bought parts from that guy before, pretty decent guy. I have Redwings on one of my Suzukis, they are pretty good for the price. I remember something
under the 'search function' about Redwings on Pentons about fitment due to the large lower body, I don't remember the details. My Berkshire has Progressives, they work well but I also don't compete.

Jim A
Jim A

Dwight Rudder

Works Performance shocks are great and very much worth the money.  I do recommend that you tell them you weigh about 30lbs more than you do as they tend to under spring them.  Once I got mine sprung right they honestly feel like you have a good 6" of travel with only 4".
IMO,
Dwight

tooclose racing

Thanks for the feedback on what works for you, Poggers.  I do wonder about the Red Wing reservoir and swingarm clearance.  And in a perfect world, the W.P. shock that Dwight recommends probably is the best set-up out there for us racer boy wanna-bees.

Legend motorcycles does set up the Red Wings based on rider weight, bike weight, and riding style.  They also have an in-house shock (Girling replica?) they sell that they offer the same service for.  The Red Wing is a dual spring set-up BTW.

I also checked with HyGear in Ithaca, NY. to see if they might be able to rebuild a set of Konis that came with my Six Day.  Uhh - NO. I've done some Koni "research" on this message board (instructions available, o-rings, seals)and it just sounds like something I don't want to get into until - well - I retire! :D

Oh....and those great-looking Ohlins will only set you back $507 a pair these days, oops make that $570...in stock now and operators on duty!  Maybe if I set up a coffee can at the Penton owners village with my picture on it....

Decisions, decisions.

chicagojerry

i've run the red wings for a full year on my can am 175. they are vintage legal. what the remote resevoir reference is refering to is a resevoir attached with a hose such as later husky ohlins. zooks are legal as are yamaha thermo flows and like i said, the red wings. i won the 200 inter class that year with them. they work about as well as progressive but like them they fade. and one thing better than progressive, if i recall correctly, is that they are rebuildable. they are pretty decent quality. but if you ever ride a ohlins equipped vintage bike, be careful, because you won't want to use anything else and they are pricey. i've tried most of the popular brands, progressives, works, fox, redwings muhollands. nothing compares to the ohlins but OUCH, what a price.
not making it to arizona so see everyone at 1) pog day at the museum 2) bike week [8D]     chi jer

bildough

Ive been using redwings on my 125 for the past two years and really like them. In all sincerity I dont notice much difference between them and the Ohlins on a 125. On the 250s i do notice a big difference and even more on an open bike. maybe the smaller bikes dont test the suspension the way the bigger bikes do but I like my Redwings on my 125. Thats just my input.

Bill Cappel