2009 ISDT Reunion Ride ISDTRR

Started by Paul Danik, December 14, 2008, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

I am hoping to see the club put on a longer event.  Maybe 80-90 miles day one and 50 day two?

Larry Perkins

The bikes that can be used by anyone other than former ISDT & ISDE riders can be found in the Cross Country and MX rules at the AHRMA website.  ahrma.org  Basically there are classes from the 1960's to about 1984.  If it does not have a disc brake odds are it is legal.

I believe 80-90 miles is too far to keep it fun and to have a low failure rate.  If you increase the mileage there will be more people break.  Parts are getting higher and higher to redo these motors so the longer we make them go the better.  Some of the guys that race this race will have put many miles on these bikes in the season before this race in the AHARMA Cross Country Series.

The more mileage and the harder special test cries generally come from two types of riders.  One is the guy that rides not many events maybe even just this one.  The other is the competitive make it like then guy for which I have been guilty of being in the past.  We have to remember that this is one for fun.  One reason I have for several years said this one should not be an AHRMA race so that the competitve would be out of it and it could be totally fun.

Larry P

p3mn256

mileage has not been set yet. we are looking at some different things . the important thing is to have nice trails and great tests.
larry is correct this event should be fun and it will be .
the tests i have in  mind will be rideable by all but give the competive types enough to separate them.

steve b

steve barber
steve barber

t20sl

Larry:  Points well taken.  My first AHRMA event was at Mid OH this year.  I was told on numerous occasions when asking about a few rules questions I had before deciding on what bike to ride that it didn't matter it was all for "fun".  Well I can now say with that little bit of experience that there were a lot of "serious" riders out on that CC course.  Guess I have been riding enduros now for around 40 years and was always serious, competetive and had fun at same time.  Only reason I brought up mileage was after looking at the posted CC results from 2008 I noticed that of the approxmiately 196 riders whose scores were shown only 53 rode more than 2 events.
With that in mind I thought that with many traveling long distances (I am only 1 hour away) maybe some would like more riding (fun) time.
I hope anyone with any opinion contacts the club and gives as much input as possible. Ted Atkinson

p3mn256

teddy we have been asking for imput because we want to get it right and we appreciate all imput. you've ridden our events in the past and i'm sure you'll agree we get it right most of the time.
you probably rode our 1 day 200 miler and wanted more .
but thats just you. lol
steve barber

steve barber
steve barber

Steve Minor

I remember a statement from the 2003 ISDTRR Banquet......

"The spirit of the ISDTRR is to give 50+ year old riders on 30+ year old bikes a chance to relive the past....Sometimes finishing the event is just as rewarding as winning the medal."

I'm not sure a 90 mile Day 1 and 30 mile Day 2 is in "the spirit".

Remember it takes old bones and old bikes take time to heal.

Just my opinion.......

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Dwight Rudder

I don't know,  If there are 50 miles of dirt roads to go with 40 miles of actual trails , it could be a hoot.
Dwight

Quotequote:Originally posted by Steve Minor

I remember a statement from the 2003 ISDTRR Banquet......

"The spirit of the ISDTRR is to give 50+ year old riders on 30+ year old bikes a chance to relive the past....Sometimes finishing the event is just as rewarding as winning the medal."

I'm not sure a 90 mile Day 1 and 30 mile Day 2 is in "the spirit".

Remember it takes old bones and old bikes take time to heal.

Just my opinion.......

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC

t20sl

Having been riding enduros in Ohio all my life and I can guess almost near a 50/50 mix of gravel/pavement, and great trails.  Dwight: This brings up an important point.  Bikes will need to be street legal with license plates.  At last vintage enduro a State Park Ranger was pulling almost everyone over and checking for registered plates, etc...
I am not speaking for the club just offering input early.  Get your bikes street legal.
Steve: You guys do a great job and I am hoping to spark some more input from the "silent" majority to help you guys in decision making only.  Please don't take any of my comments wrong or as critisim.
Ted Atkinson

Larry Perkins

If it is going to be checked like that then this is a bad place to do the ISDTRR because it will eliminate about half of the entries or they will get tickets.  Most Vintage bikes don't have titles.  When this was threatened in past events it was a potential stumbling block.  It has not been required in the past.  It just had to have the look of legal.

Please let us know if it is indeed that way because if so I am out.  The bike I am riding Cross Country on won't do lights as it is a MXer.  It works fine for all the other AHRMA CC races and I don't mind bolting stuff on for this event but am not going to pop for an ignition and hassle with making it all work.  I don't need any tickets either.

Hopefully this is incorrect information for the ISDTRR location.

Larry P

tmc3c

Larry,
   You have hit the nail on the head! I have lights that work but tags that don't! Like you, I don't need a free ride in the back of the squad car.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

p3mn256

i never heard a word about riders getting stopped at our vintage enduro . we have a very good relationship with the sheriff's office. i'm working on old tags being ok. worst case might need a current tag.    headlight ,taillight and tag.   non working lights ok.  
we host 3 events per year. with no problems .
not to worry we'll have it covered.  steve

steve barber
steve barber

Larry Perkins

If the tag needs to be registered to the bike you are going to have difficulties with a lot of people. Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Larry P

p3mn256

headlight,taillight ,lic mounted to rear fender. lights don't have to work. we don't check to see if tag is legal. sheriff has told us that if they look legal and are not doing something stupid they won't stop you. i am working on a exemption for this event for old tags based on the historical nature of this event.   steve

steve barber
steve barber

Larry Perkins

Sounds like a winner, Steve.  You guys will do good at this and are on top of things pronto.  Thanks for the info and clarification.

Larry P